Video Files on Forum ×

Can the Chain setting get saved with the sequence or Performance?

perldude

Hello experts,

I have constructed 2 sequences,  one with a chain and one without.  Both sequences are contained in a performance and from my FCB1010 foot peddle I call either one of those Performance setting with the related foot switch on the peddle.  The problem is the chain  button.  I don't want to have to press the chain button for the one that needs it and I need it off for the one that doesn't need it. I was hoping that saving the seq and/or performance  with the chain button configuration would be enough to get me the configuration from the remote control perspective, but that doesn't seem  to be the case.  Is there a method to properly have the chain button state saved with the seq or Performance?  I looked into sysex commands for the chain setting, but it seems only to be for chain directory info stuff as indicated  in the XW midi implementation, if there was a way to remotely set it.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Short answer-no. I could be wrong but having studied the chain function-studying through its controls, i cannot recall being able to trigger separate chains from distinct sequences or performances.

The design of the XW has several musical/rhythmic "layers" for lack of a better term. The lowest layer for putting together tones in a musical context-rhythms/melodies/arpeggios etc. is the sequence as you already know-actually the phrases are in their own category. The next "layer" is the performance-which can combine all of those-again you know that. "Chains" are a completely different level of assembling musical elements-and consist only of sequences-factory or your own. You can only connect all the other musical elements into a chain, it has no other function I've ever discovered. It is in a sense, not "backward compatible" in that it cannot be programmed to do anything other than connecting all the other musical parts you've created, and operates as its own unique function.

I'll have to review my XW/manual but i don't think you are even able to connect separate distinct performances in a chain-only sequences. This is the basic architecture of the XW. Why you can't find any sysex for what you want to do. It doesn't exist as a programmable function. I am pretty sure you can only access one "chain" at a time, and I don't see any way to do that remotely with software or hardware-it does not have a "jukebox" function which some workstations used to have (or some may still have) for setting up a series of full arrangements and setting these up to play in sequence automatically, still not quite what you want to do.

Edited by Jokeyman123

Hi Jokeyman123,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. 

All in all what I want to do is NOT have to think about if the Chain button is lit when I remotely call up a Performance (that contains a Sequence), and I don't want to have reach over to hit the chain button to turn it on or off.  That's why I was hoping that the on/off state of the chain button was stored with the Sequence or Performance.  But from your comment and what I have already tried (and read) I am SOL.  However, given your explanation, I'm still of the opinion that the CASIO XW firmware could have stored the button state in the saved user Sequence.  It is only a dream that at this point Casio would be issuing any accommodating firmware updates. LOL.