Video Files on Forum ×

Hex layer, set octave per channel?

oildrops

9 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Do you mean the hex layer tone itself (the performance zone)?  Or a layer within a hex layer tone?  Either way, both are possible.  

The hex layer tone. I'm making a basic stage keys patch and just want to Clav to be down an octave from the pianos.

On 10/9/2022 at 8:51 AM, Brad Saucier said:

In performance mode, press edit and go to zone edit.  You should see octave shift. 

Ah, so I need to do this in performance mode. Does this mean creating an associated performance for the hex layer, and making sure that performance is selected when I use that hex layer? Or would I want to just make this patch in a performance instead of the Hex layer. I have done this in the past, but with a Hex layer it's easier to manage in a performance, ironically.

My goal is to use the hex layer as a set of electric piano tones that I can select using the sliders, mostly to cut down on the time it takes to get between tones in a song in the context of a funk and rock live setting. It's faster to use the buttons to get back to organ and synth if needed. If the compromise is to change octave when I want to use the clavinet, I think it might still be faster than needing to go back into "tone" mode.

Edited by oildrops

You don’t have to save the octave setting in a Performance. (Although you can if that works better for you.) You can save it directly in the Hex Layer tone. As described on page E-30 in the XW-P1 User’s Guide, there is a Course Tune parameter for the entire tone with a range of plus or minus two octaves in semitone steps. A one octave difference would be a setting of +12 or -12 depending on direction. 

I should also mention that if you need to select between tones quickly, there is a method I describe in the following post that uses the 16 sequence buttons:

The downside is that only one of the 16 tones can be a solo synth, Hex Layer or drawbar-organ tone. The remaining 15 must be PCM tones. 

• Like 2

Thanks again @AlenK , I don't know why I didn't think to use the coarse tune. The mixer idea is a good one. When I am in performance+step sequencer mode, I often end up changing something without knowing what is going on and get frazzled. I'm pretty happy with my solution since it keeps things simple. No need to use the scroll wheel or number pad to get from a piano to e-piano to clavinet sounds. I still need to have organ and solo synth pre-selected.