Video Files on Forum ×

CT-X5000 power adapter not working

jakenl

Hi,

Since today, the power adapter of my CT-X5000 doesn't work anymore.

I haven't used the keyboard for a couple of weeks. Now I wanted to turn it on but nothing happened.

Measuring at the plug shows zero volts, the ac plug shows 240 v.

Can it be broken and if so, can I open/repair it?

Based on the mention of 240v, I assume you must be in Europe, and perhaps it's not easy to find a replacement power adapter.  Is the keyboard still under warranty?  If so, perhaps you could get a replacement that way.

But if you are no longer under warranty and just need a replacement, perhaps you can find a compatible one.  In the U.S., I was able to find several compatible power adapters for less than $20 on Amazon.  The key things you need are a 24V DC output, at least 2.5A (60 Watt) output capability, and a center-positive compatible round plug for the keyboard.  The plug for the keyboard obviously needs to be the right size, although some power adapters actually come with a set of changeable plugs so you can pick the one with the best fit.  I looked on a couple of Amazon EU sites, and found some that look compatible, usually for around 20-25 Euro.  Unless you are pretty skilled at electronics and soldering, I think this would be a safer approach.

• Like 1

If you don't know if you can repair it, the answer is no I'm afraid. Modern day power adapters are quite complicated and you need the electronics skills to understand them. The chances are anyway it is simply kaput. Usually when they fail they are beyond economic repair. You should obtain a new one.

My skills would be no problem. In the past I have repaired multiple smps's. The problem is to open the case. Seems that it is glued tight completely.

Also finding a replacement adapter with the right output is not a problem...just the plug is a very uncommon type. Measures about 5,9 mm.

And that size is really hard to find.

Eventually I found an adapter at an online music store. Seems this adapter suits some keyboards and piano's, including the CT-X5000.

Unfortunately not in stock so I have to wait a while.

Yes, I know  I can cut the lead and attach it to another adapter. I even played with that thought.

But I just don't find this a charming method...rather have a suitable adapter.

This enclosure is just impossible to open, only by completely destroying it.

Not worth it...