Video Files on Forum ×

Let CT-S1 send MIDI data to a Mac, and at the same time let the Mac sends the VST or Pianoteq sound to CT-S1?

ryaneuler

Is that possible? The CT-S1 can send MIDI (my piano playing) to the Mac, which should be a few bytes or minimal per seconds, and the Mac takes this data and play it using the Pianoteq VST, and now sends the sound back to the CT-S1 using either the USB Midi cable or the Bluetooth adapter. That would be perfect.

Otherwise, since the Mac's speaker is not so strong, I will have to wear a headphone or use an external monitor speaker like the HS5 and connect it to the Mac.

It seems that it may work, just that I can't find a way to mute the sound of the CT-S1 native sound. Another issue is that Pianoteq or Mac's sound output can either be Mac's speaker or WU-BT10 (the Bluetooth adapter), and there is no "USB" output back to CT-S1. If Bluetooth is used, then there is like a 0.5 seconds delay when the sound is heard on CT-S1, so it doesn't work.

Edited by ryaneuler

7 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

You'll need to use analog audio output from the computer to the audio input on the CT-S1. 

Thank you, cool.  So the USB cannot allow data to go both ways at the same time?  Is it true if it is just to send audio from the computer to the CT-S1, the USB can be used?

but if you send audio from the Mac to the CT-S1, how do you mute the piano sound native on the CT-S1?  If both sounds are played, it'd be cool too, but what if we just want the one from the computer?  There doesn't seem to be a mute function to mute the native piano sound. If I turn the volume to 0, then the audio in won't have any sound.

Edited by ryaneuler

The CT-S1's USB connection is designed for MIDI only, not audio.   MIDI is not audio. 

To turn off sound in the CT-S1 while using it as a MIDI controller, turn off local control.  You'll find a keyboard chart in the user manual which shows the function button and key combination needed for this switch.  Hint: It's your lowest G#

• Thanks 1

I don't know if you could silence the CT-S1's internal sound engine and have Bluetooth audio played through its speakers, though even if you could, you may encounter latency issues  because of Bluetooth. The MIDI sent from the CT-S1 into your Mac and being played by your Piano VST shouldn't have any noticeable latency, but when sending your VST/ computer audio over Bluetooth back to the S1, you might encounter a delay effect from when you hit a key to when you actually hear it. It might only be slight, but it can be off-putting when trying to concentrate on playing. Ideally, the most effective way to boost the VST sound from your computer is to connect it to an external amp/ speaker and turn the S1 volume down to zero.

Edited by Chas

10 hours ago, ryaneuler said:

If Bluetooth is used, then there is like a 0.5 seconds delay when the sound is heard on CT-S1, so it doesn't work

As Chas also mentioned, Bluetooth audio has latency (delay).  This is true of any Bluetooth speaker.  Due to the way the Bluetooth audio standard was originally designed many years ago, it's not possible to eliminate this.  It was never intended to be used in musical instruments as a way to monitor the sound of VST's.  This is why the analog audio cable is still best. 

Bluetooth MIDI, on the other hand, is a different beast, and has very low latency.  

4 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

As Chas also mentioned, Bluetooth audio has latency (delay).  This is true of any Bluetooth speaker.  Due to the way the Bluetooth audio standard was originally designed many years ago, it's not possible to eliminate this.  It was never intended to be used in musical instruments as a way to monitor the sound of VST's.  This is why the analog audio cable is still best. 

Bluetooth MIDI, on the other hand, is a different beast, and has very low latency.  

I just checked Bluetooth 5.2 standard released on Dec 2019:

> The standard has a lower minimum latency claim of 20-30 ms vs Bluetooth Classic audio of 100-200 ms

I wonder if it is really just 0.1 or 0.2 seconds... it felt more like 0.3 seconds or even 0.5 seconds.

But so 20 - 30ms seems more acceptable... wait till digital pianos all support Bluetooth 6.0 and 7.0 in the future, and then wireless can make it easier... think about no MIDI in and out port vs USB port... if everything can be wireless and close to real time.

Edited by ryaneuler

On 10/15/2022 at 2:51 PM, Brad Saucier said:

The CT-S1's USB connection is designed for MIDI only, not audio.   MIDI is not audio. 

To turn off sound in the CT-S1 while using it as a MIDI controller, turn off local control.  You'll find a keyboard chart in the user manual which shows the function button and key combination needed for this switch.  Hint: It's your lowest G#

ah guess what, I think it is F# 

it is on the English manual page 55.  But thanks for letting me know it exists.

It is to turn on or off: whether the keyboard playing is sent to the internal sound generation.

It is called "local control" in the manual.

I searched for "mute" and didn't find it...  I think many users will think of muting the sound without turning down the volume... so they would search for the word "mute" or "muting"... but they either have to know to search for "local control" or to look at what each key does with the Function key.

Edited by ryaneuler

On 10/16/2022 at 6:33 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Correct.  A typo in my post, I try very hard to avoid those.  Apologies.

no probleymo... guess what, I saw on the Roland FP-90X manual... they also call it Local Control... which is something that I would never search before. But I guess it is a standard term to mean: do you want the internal sound to be given?