Video Files on Forum ×

Use a Roland FP-90X to play CT-S1 sound?

ryaneuler

Can I use a Roland FP-90X to play a song, and use its MIDI out to send MIDI signal to the CT-S1?

It appears if the CT-S1 has a MIDI in, then it'd work.  But since CT-S1 doesn't, can't I use a device such as DOREMidi UMH-21, to convert CT-S1's USB port to MIDI in and out pots?

If so, it seems I can use Roland's FP-90X, which is said to have one of the best keyboard action in portable pianos, and give the sound of CT-S1, and perhaps even Yamaha DGX670's CFX sound, and Kawai ES120's SK-EX sound.

Edited by ryaneuler

The CT-S1 does have MIDI In (and Out), but only over USB MIDI.  As with all USB MIDI devices, it needs to be connected to a MIDI host to be able to communicate with other devices.

I had a quick look at the DOREMidi UMH-21 that you mentioned above, and that is indeed a USB MIDI host Box. If it works as per all other USB MIDI Hosts, then yes, you should be able to send MIDI from your Roland to the CT-S1.  Do investigate the DORE device that you mentioned before buying, because apparently not all MIDI Hosts are created equal and I've heard that people have had issues getting some of them to work properly.

Edited by Chas

5 hours ago, Chas said:

The CT-S1 does have MIDI In (and Out), but only over USB MIDI.  As with all USB MIDI devices, it needs to be connected to a MIDI host to be able to communicate with other devices.

I had a quick look at the DOREMidi UMH-21 that you mentioned above, and that is indeed a USB MIDI host Box. If it works as per all other USB MIDI Hosts, then yes, you should be able to send MIDI from your Roland to the CT-S1.  Do investigate the DORE device that you mentioned before buying, because apparently not all MIDI Hosts are created equal and I've heard that people have had issues getting some of them to work properly.

I looked up MIDI host box and Amazon, and they pulled some devices that looked like audio interfaces, such as the Scarlett 4i4... but the problem with those are: it has USB, but it is powered by USB... so I suppose I can't connect that USB to the digital piano's USB and hope there is MIDI in and out -- what would power the 4i4?  Presonus boxes seemed the same. The only one I found that has a USB connection and a separate power source is the Roland Rubix... it is just way more expensive than the DOREMidi

7 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Be aware that MIDI IN on the CT-S1 is not connected to the sounds you hear whenever you play the CT-S1 keys.  MIDI IN has it's own independent sound generator.  All tone selection for MIDI IN will need to be done through MIDI IN.  

does that mean 

1. configure the Roland FP-90X MIDI out to select the Stage Grand or whatever sound I want on the CT-S1 -- so need to look at the MIDI implementation paper of the CT-S1?  But does the Roland FP-90X have the function to do that? Probably a MIDI controller like the StudioLogic SL88 Grand is able to do that?

2. Can I send the Roland MIDI signal to any MIDI box -- is it called a MIDI host, and alter the MIDI signal on the MIDI box, for example, change instrument 1 to instrument 6?

3. Connect the Roland FP-90X to the Mac using a USB cable, and have the Mac connected to a Scarlett 4i4 using a USB cable, and now the Scarlett 4i4 has a MIDI in and out, and the MIDI out can go into a DOREMidi box and then get convert to USB to connect to the CT-S1. So along the way, the Mac can alter the MIDI signal

This is pretty complicated...

Edited by ryaneuler