Video Files on Forum ×

How to change registrations by MIDI? Exactly what should be sent?

Again, I'm not an expert on this stuff.   But when I record and change registrations, it appears that the Casio is just sending the list of all parameters used to build the registration, not the actual registration bank + number.

Sorry if I should have opened a new topic.

1 hour ago, bytemare said:

I know I might be over my head, but we see that registrations can now be selected via MIDI.  How is this actually done? 

You'll need software or hardware capable of sending the messages outlined in the follow post...

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/21937-ct-s500-ct-s1000v-firmware-update-now-available/&do=findComment&comment=83538

Note: I split this into a new topic since it's probably going to be a popular question.  

Thanks!

I got the software, I just didn't understand what to send.   Actually I still don't know what to send exactly.

Also, it seems when selecting a registration on the keyboard, the actual registration # isn't sent, but instead all of the parameters/effects that make up the registration are sent.

Thanks!!! I was able to do it from my phone via bluetooth!!!!!

Edit:   Since we cannot name registrations, this is helpful to use a free app that you can define presets with a name and simply have the preset select the proper registration on the keyboard.

Edited by bytemare
additional info
  • Like 1

Any idea on how to simply change a tone via MIDI?   Looking at the guide, I thought I could send CC 0, msb 35 (bank according to the instructions), lsb 64, then program change of 62 (program number, again from the guide).   Bank 35 program 62 should be tone 327 according the guide.   When I do this, nothing happens ;(

Completely bizarre.      Registrations work, but selecting tones doesn't, not with my setup nor with yours.

The whole point of this exercise is trying to not have a sheet of paper with the song name and registration/tone number at shows.   I do appreciate the help though.

whoa that was strange.  I finally found the midi port under settings , there is a choice of A and C.  It was set to C, so I change it to A.  I didn't work, but suddenly after 5 minutes it started to work!   I did not see this setting in the manual.   Also, you can change registrations one after the other, but to change a tone, it seems like you must wait 15 seconds from whatever previous event you sent.  Anyway Thank you!!!!!

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 5:17 PM, bytemare said:

I wonder why they didn't set default to A??  

C is what you would need to playback 16-part MIDI files, which was part of its design all along. Whether A is better is only a matter of what it is you're trying to do. I can see why they wouldn't want to change the default... any users who had been using the board's ability to playback MIDI files would find that something that had worked all along would suddenly fail after they ran the update!

• Like 1