Video Files on Forum ×

In love with the PX770 but ...

Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

I originally had my heart set on a Yamaha, with a Roland being my second choice. I went to a piano store today and tried them both; both of them felt horrible to my hands, I'm sorry to say.

Wandering around the piano store, I eventually tried my hand at a PX770.  Right beside it was a $2,000 Yamaha. I went back and forth between them and for whatever reason, is a PX770 felt a lot better than anything I played today.

Unfortunately, I'm looking for a more portable keyboard in the case that I need to bring it for gigs. It hasn't happened very often, but it does happen once in a while. I would rather not have to disassemble the entire unit in order to bring it with me .

I'm looking for a more portable keyboard with similar key feel. It looks like many of the other keyboards say they have the same "scaled hammer action".  I tried playing a CDP-S350 today and it felt close, but like it was missing something in the middle. 

Does Casio have any other more portable keyboard that has a similar feel to the PX770? 

Thanks in advance. 

• Solution

The action in the PX-770 is called "Tri-Sensor II Scaled Hammer Action".  You can find the same physical action in portable models like PX-360, PX-560 and PX-5S.  I personally practice on my PX-5S daily and really enjoy it. 

I'll add this note in case it's of interest. Casio recently released a premium portable action with resin/wood keys which is getting great reviews.  Entry level on that action is with the PX-S5000.  I can't speak from experience with them, but it's worth a look from everything I'm reading.  

31 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

PX-360, PX-560 and PX-5S.

Thank you!  This will get me a head start in looking. 

The PX-160 would have been perfect, being only around 60% of what they wanted for the PX770, but it looks like it's been discontinued.

I haven't heard much about the PX-S series, but I'm not sure if there are any music stores around me that will have one for me to try out. 

Thank you again!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an update:

I finally found a store with a PX-S3000, a PX-560 and a Kawai ES120.  The Kawai felt good, but it definitely didn't feel like the Casios.  

The PX-560 felt like everything I wanted it to feel, but it was almost double the price of the PX-S3000, which felt like almost 85%-90% of what the PX-560 feels like. 

The piano store said they are trying to get a PX-S5000 in the showroom soon, so I think I will wait to play that before I make my decision.  

But I think it's coming down to the PX-S3000, PX-S3100 or the PX-S5000 (PX-S6000 is probably beyond my price range).

• Like 2