Video Files on Forum ×

How to replace speaker

SEKM

Can a speaker be replaced on the privia px 160?  The left one hisses when played at moderate volume. If so, where do I get one and how do I replace?

Also, can this be plugged into an amp.  I'm not musical but my kid plays this and I thought plugging into an amp might be a work around for the blown speaker.

Brad and Joe, Thank you both for your responses.  My son does use headphones most of the time but if he wants to play out loud so others can hear, headphones would not be practical.  In regards to the "hiss."  I may not be describing it accurately.  Basically, it sounds similar to stereo or car speakers when they are "blown," often from playing to loudly.  Can this speaker on the piano be replaced?  If so, where would I get one and how can it be replaced?  In regards to the amp connection.  When plugged into the amp, no sound comes through at all but the amp works when connected to other string instruments.  Thanks again!

Apologies, I should have explained my post in greater detail.  I'll try now.  My suggestion for headphones was to use it as a diagnostic tool rather than a workaround.  The headphone output and line output would produce similar noise if the issue was an internal sound processing or amplification issue rather than a speaker driver issue.  If the headphone and line output sounds normal, then the next step would be ruling out other possible physical issues, such as noises coming from the cabinet of the piano.  The likelihood of an actual "blown" speaker is very low, since the internal amplifier is carefully matched to the speakers, virtually impossible to harm with normal usage due to a well engineered system.  

As far as the line output not producing sound.   Make sure the volume knob on the piano is around the 12 o'clock position to begin with.  This knob controls the level of line output.  Also make sure you're using proper 1/4 inch TS cables.