Video Files on Forum ×

Connecting X3000/5000 to iPad for more instrument sounds?

Rudolph R-N R
Go to solution Solved by anotherscott,

Please tell me I’m wrong!  I’m thinking the only way to connect a X5000 to an iPad in order to run an instrument app, is to buy a $40-50 USB to MIDI conversion box like this:

USB to MIDI box

Are there cheaper options?  Or ways of doing this I’m not aware of?

I wish the X5000 at least had MIDI BT!  No need for a box then, the iPad instrument app would receive the keyboard playing, and the latency is very useable.

1 hour ago, RogerBannister said:

Yamaha UD-BT01 could be an option although probably not cheaper than the option you're suggesting.

Less cables though! 😀

Found this at SW:

Yamaha UDBT01, wireless Bluetooth

I wish they’d walked thru a few scenarios.  If I understand correctly, this device plugs in with a USB cable to the keyboard USB To Host port, and works its magic once it’s powered thru a smartphone power supply.

Thanks for the suggestion, IME BT MIDI works quite well.  I would have thought it could be powered thru the keyboards USB port, oh well, I guess all of these USB to MIDI products require a power supply.  It does have a smaller footprint than the USB MIDI box I was looking at.

4 hours ago, RogerBannister said:

Yes, I think you've got it right! It can also be powered by the USB port (the one for flash drives) on the Casio so you can manage without a separate power supply (or at least that was my experience).

That’s awesome!

4 hours ago, anotherscott said:

Yes. But first, does your ipad have a lightning connector, or does it use USB-C?

It’s one of the first iPad Pros, it has a lightning connector.  I do have a CCK (camera connection kit, a lightning to USB A female cable)).

Edited by Randelph

• Solution
7 hours ago, Randelph said:

It’s one of the first iPad Pros, it has a lightning connector.  I do have a CCK (camera connection kit, a lightning to USB A female cable)).

Then you should be all set... just use that CCK with a regular USB cable (USB-A to USB-B, like the typical USB printer cable).

(BTW, the box you linked to in your OP would not work, that's designed for connecting multiple boards that have 5-pin MIDI connections, and the Casio does not have that connection.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anotherscott said:

Then you should be all set... just use that CCK with a regular USB cable (USB-A to USB-B, like the typical USB printer cable).

(BTW, the box you linked to in your OP would not work, that's designed for connecting multiple boards that have 5-pin MIDI connections, and the Casio does not have that connection.)

So you’re saying all I need is a USB A to B cable and my CCK and that’s it, I can play my keyboard and the iPad instrument app registers my playing?  That would be awesome!

Yes indeed, I didn’t know this was possible!  Awesome- I just confirmed it works!

Thanks AS, and for pointing out that MIDI router wouldn’t work, was thinking it would be fed by the USB MIDI.

Only recently discovered BT MIDI is my friend, works well.

Not sure why the simplicity of what was on offer was unknown to me.  To give myself credit though, It does take a willingness to study a bit to figure out all this stuff.  Was just talking to my non-musician sister about enjoying making vast and lush sounds for theatrical-style playing, and her immediate comment was, “That’s really technical, isn’t it.  Just for that reason I wouldn’t do it”.  I’ve encountered this often, otherwise very intelligent (often moreso than myself) women who have a great memory,  but have an undeniable reluctance when it comes to the complications and challenges of dealing with tech.

Which is good I suppose.  There’s the field of doing, which is usually a vastly different approach and perspective than the field of being, which typically involves emotions.  Most men and women fit, roughly, into these 2 fields, sometimes the stereotype has a lot of truth.  When I lived 5 years in Europe, I was really surprised that every country I went to they lived up to their stereotype.  After experiencing how close these countries are to one another, I began to understand this need for differentiation.

Anyhoo, super glad this was a slam dunk solution that I shoulda/coulda/woulda known with just a bit more study.  Motivating!