Video Files on Forum ×

Using sysex or midi strings to set parts 5-16

Dirt

I'm wondering if anyone here has any examples of sysex strings or shorter midi messages that can be send to the PX-5S to set parts 5-16.

My understanding is that these settings can not be saved as part of a stage setting.

What I'd like to do is send a midi message that sets the tone(s) selected as well as the pitch bend range and volume.

Once I have a working example I should be able to set other parameters if needed.

I'd appreciate any examples that are known to work.

If anyone has any to share I would really appreciate trying them out.

Thanx!

3 hours ago, anotherscott said:

I would expect regular Program Change and MIDI Volume (CC7 and/or CC11) to work, do they not? (though pitch bend range would probably require sysex, if it could be done at all.)

Thanks for the response anotherscott. I am aware that all the CC's work. What I'm after is the ability to change the pitch bend range. I believe it can be done thru a midi sysex, and am seeking some working examples.

Hi Brad,

I am using the midi implementation manual and have been trying.

The manual states that this can be done with RPN  (Dec Values) 100 00/101 00/06 12/38 11/ which I could not get to work.

UPDATE:

Success.

Using Reaper I've managed to get it working. Although it only works while Reaper is playing.

Once I stop Reaper the values revert to 0.

It's a start!

PitchBendRange.png 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I dig this kinda thing and I think somewhere on these forums I have posts regarding using SYSEX messages.   What you can do is build MIDI files with any changes that you need (including SYSEX messages).   Save these files on a USB drive formatted for use with the PX-5s, plug it in and then load and play them.  It doesn't have to contain music, just the messages you need to send to the board.  Playing the file should setup the MIDI specifications based on the channels assigned in the file.

I'm attempting to attach a MIDI file as an example.  Channel 1 has a pitch bend change of +- 5.  If you have a MIDI editor where you can check the events, you''ll find it looks similar to the layout you have in Reaper.  In fact, I don't know Reaper, but perhaps you can export MIDI files from there?  But note:  what you've displayed and what I've included are RPN changes.  RPNs are universal across devices.  SYSEX can be exclusive and are often device specific - thus the name System Exclusive messages.

Also remember, include program changes in your MIDI file as well as it will likely default to GM 0 (or 1) piano.  If you run the file I included on the PX-5s, it will change channel 1 to that default GM piano as I just put together the example to show the pitch bend range change is possible through a loaded MIDI file.

Change Pitchbend 5 CH1.mid

Edited by Choppin