Video Files on Forum ×

Which type of Casio 88 key pianos can be powered by USB?

Norm2023
Go to solution Solved by Jokeyman123,

I'm trying a PX-130 and its not working.  The USB2 hub is powered of course so the full 5 volts and full amperage (2.4 amps) is available. 

So that got me thinking (after losing an AC adapter before to a Casio piano) which Casio 88 key pianos can be run off USB? If you're moving stuff around its handy to be able to run off USB.  And would it help if it was USB3 as that seems to offer more power. 

• Solution

Not going to happen. I don't quite understand what you are describing as a USB hub-are you talking about an outboard USB hub connected to your computer? If so it is getting its power from your computer's USB connection which will be woefully inadequate to power even some USB devices designed for computers. These hubs typically will not provide 2.4 amps to each port-the voltage is divided among the ports, which is why many have trouble getting USB devices working connected to a USB hub. every Casio I've owned needed at least 1 amp minimum and some are spec'd at 2. I know of no USB hub that generates its own power-only if plugged into its own power supply-it is still "drawing" power rather than generating it if it is a passive USB hub-distributing 5v from the computer USB port.

All Casios currently need at least 9V DC/12V DC and some even need 15/24V DC for the larger pianos. Others will know better re the oldest smaller Casios-such as the SK-1's, CTS's, CTK's etc. but I've never run across a Casio that can run from less than 9V DC.  I power a few of my Casios with the new 9v/12V DC power packs, but need to make a modified connector if the Casio needs 9V DC tip negative-and I am not running my Casios under warranty as any damage that happens is my responsibility if I use anything other than a Casio recommended supply. the PX5S runs from AA batteries-8 t be precise for 12V DC-but I have never heard of anyone powering theirs by using the USB port, the circuitry is not designed to work that way. I would not plug anything into the USB port that was not designed for it-you can very easily fry that circuit and no longer have a usable USB connection to your computer.

> you talking about an outboard USB hub connected to your computer?

No....I specifically mentioned both the voltage and amperage of the AC adapter that is powering the hub.  
But I suppose the problem is not the amperage, rather the voltage.  That would make sense.

I was curious to see if I could use the 12 volt rail of a computer power supply and it worked fine actually as I could find a plug that fit OK and it required 12 volts, not 9 which a computer power supply doesn't offer, just 12, 7.5 and 5.  Not sure what the amperage is but it must be substantial.  Its a handy solution if you never move it and you're missing your AC adapter and your only source is priced in the stratosphere, which many stores are now and you tend to play the piano close to your computer.  I have no idea how long a run you could have though.  Probably quite far.