The CTKs reached maturity

Tom banjo

Being a  banjo player wanna be for decades I also have delved into stacking tracks all along---Anyway about the the year2000 I got my first keyboard--probably a WK or radio shack--for the next 10 years I would just add simple left or right hand parts  to my recordings --one track at a time.--Then a friend started coming over regular and I committed myself to learning some basic arrangements using both hands --mostly 50s to 80s rock --but a meandering collection of genres and years. A few years back I sprung for a new XW P1--which I love and now know it's quirks and filing setup pretty well---As of late I was thinking It would be nice if my XW's step sequencer had my CTK's rhythms onboard so I could adjust their diamonds in the rough--Well my time has come--along comes this CTX 5000 with an actual line out instead of earphone out--expression pedal in --editing capabilities in abundance--etc.etc,--since this rig stands on the shoulders of the CTKs I already knew   some of it's filing methods etc. --things like registration --auto accomp buttons  etc. - When viewing on line--The tones even from  my laptop were as juicy as they get--

So I had  a roland JV 1010  sound module which was always love/hate with it's pain to edit  parameters and also  an extra  rack mount multi efx  processor ---

So friday I head up to guitar center in louisville and  trade them for a great shape used CTX 5000--I ended up paying 20 dollars cash--

yesterday I spent the day cussing and pushing buttons --but knowing the jargon along with all the great tutorials--by the end of the day I was splitting layering--making my own rhythms from scratch or copied presets  plus just digging on those crazy zillion presets to choose from --I think those engineers have matured in their musical taste also ha ha --over and out

-

Edited by Tom banjo
  • Like 1

That's still a great deal, the CTX-5000 usually goes for around $400-500 online. was considering picking up a used JV-1010, but I guess the sounds are bit "dated' compared to the Casio? I've had other older Roland modules-the SC-33, MT-32 years ago and still have a PMA-5 which isn't terrible but no match for the Casio tones.

the 1010 was nice but it was always too time consuming to get at the tempo because all the good presets would not go to midi clock without hooking it up to the laptop and putting them in a user slot---but I learned a lot  trying to use it hooked to a CtK and using a sound diver app --to fiddle with tones and make them go midi slave --of course the XW learning curve was a new semester in school --tone wise the 1010 had some good ones especially their synths and seeing which waves they used when editing was quiet surprising