Video Files on Forum ×

XW-P1 and Ctx 5000 don't communicate

Tom banjo
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

My XW-P1 communicates just fine with my CTK 791 as far as key playing causing the other to make the sound--that  is by straight  din hook up or thru one of my interfaces--(Ihave a midi sport and a MIO iconnectivity)

here are some facts

both  the CTX and Xw were accepted as keyboards via their USBs when used them with the vienna sample maker on my PC

Everything is set to midi channel 1

The CTX is set to record standby on track 1

Midi Out is set to key play on the XW

All  of the midi outs are  set to on

I down loaded midi ox and it recognizes the interfaces-

I can't get either one to recognize it's sibling

thanks for any help I sure do want to get to pushing some of those CTX tones with the XW

I don't want to have to depend on a full time DAW to do this btw--

Edited by Tom banjo

Actually I might have this wrong but --one of the vids shows the man going to  that setting just to bring another board in--to play in a splint combo--the reason I figured --was because the manual ,block diagram --shows MIDI IN happening on the song solo part---which is  also in the recording area --I am striving  to get  them to recognize each other without needing a DAW---thanks

FWI If I want to actually record I fire up the tascam stand alone DP 02  throw on a click track and start punching ha ha

The diagram in the manual shows sound engine utilization.  You'll notice the CTX has a 48 part sound engine with 16 of those addressable by MIDI input, and the rest not addressable by MIDI.  Those not addressable by MIDI are used by internal keyboard features such as auto accompaniment, keyboard performance parts, etc.  Although MIDI recorder solo parts are shared with MIDI input, this does not mean MIDI input is routed to the recorder.  It is routed to the sound engine only. 

Well I got a adapter in order to come up with a cable with usb Bs on both ends but still to no avail--still studying

Both the CtX and XW  send and receive tones when I  hook them one at a time to the laptop  and call them up on Midi OX--it almost has to be the converter boxes --I have the ones mentioned and hate to spring for another --thanks

Edited by Tom banjo

There is no host device with that setup.  Two USB devices can't communicate with one another like that.  As I said, a host device is required to establish communication.  That is usually a computer, smartphone or tablet with software for routing MIDI devices, like DAW software.  There is also a host box device specifically made for keyboards with only USB on the market as well.  

I was running this  thru the 2 mentioned at the top plus trying 2 smaller ones -1 by M audio  1 by roland  --I tried them all one at a time ---thanks

the 2 boxes only have usb B in along with of course  DIN

Edited by Tom banjo

I have the one on top in this vid--It has 12 ports and allows filtering and remapping to any port --but it might be outdated--if I go for another I'll be sure to look for hosts--thanks

PS he mentions a host port--and says the one I have does not have one---wow --host a brand new word to me --and  thanks for hanging Brad--

Edited by Tom banjo