Video Files on Forum ×

(GP-510) When an AUX cable is connected to line-in, MIDI-to-USB cable doesn't work

Hello,

I just received my Casio GP-510 yesterday and started setting it up. I use Pianoteq and want to direct the Pianoteq sounds to the piano's speakers. I have a USB cable for the MIDI input, however when I use that there's a loud buzzing sound (ground loop I know...). So I tried to use a MIDI-to-USB cable to get the MIDI input from a MIDI OUT port. I can get the MIDI signal this way and when I connect my headphones to my laptop, I can hear Pianoteq's sounds. However, when I disconnect the headphones and plug the line-in via an AUX cable, the laptop stops receiving MIDI input. I can see this clearly in the Pianoteq interface, the notes that I play aren't visible in the virtual keyboard . When I unplug the AUX cable, it starts working again.

So it seems that the only way the line-in works is when I'm using a normal USB-B to USB-A cable. Or, if I want to use a MIDI-to-USB cable, then I cannot use the line-in.

Is this normal? What I can do solve the issue?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

To be clear, does MIDI continue to work when the AUX cable is plugged into the laptop headphone output, and the other end not yet connected to the piano line in?  And in reverse, does it continue to work if the AUX cable is plugged into the piano, but not into the laptop?  

Yes, only when both sides of the AUX cable is plugged, the MIDI output stops working in Pianoteq. I can still see the MIDItoUSB as selected in Pianoteq's Audio Preferences, but no MIDI event is registered.