Video Files on Forum ×

Sustain Pedal Polarity

Hi all,

I'm frustrated since TWO sustain pedals of mine (correctly working for GEM, Korg Havian 30, Roland FP30, M-Audio) have an inverted polarity when i try to connect them to my Casio CT-S1000V. In practice, when pressing the pedal I've no sustain and vice versa. Beyond the fact that from the CT-S1000V menu there is no way to change the polarity pedal, a trick which typically works with other keyboards/pianos (when sustain pedal polarity is inverted) is to turn off the keyboard, connect the pedal and press it when turning on the keyboard. Unluckily, such a method does not work with CT-S1000V. Why I should separately buy the suggested pedals (Casio SP-3, SP-30) when I've two sustain pedals compatible with 4 different brands??? I'm so disappointed for that. If anyone knows a workaround, please let me know! Mario 

1 minute ago, Brad Saucier said:

Typically a universal pedal will have a reversal switch on them.  If yours doesn't, unfortunately you'll need another pedal that has one, or a Casio compatible pedal.  

Brad, thx for your reply. Both pedals of mine do not have the polarity switch onboard. Indeed, when passing pedals from one brand to another (e.g. from M-Audio to Korg), the polarity is reversed. This notwithstanding, I just need to press the pedal while turning on the keyboard to restore the correct polarity. I wonder why on Casio such a procedure does not work.

no need to buy another pedal

a) if handy with a solder iron, reverse the wires on your pedal

b) if not handy, (or want to use said pedal with other boards), just use an adapter/extension and switch the polarity on that. you can make one or buy one like below:

cd9758_3b5bf2765df6477d9fbd7f9af03f35c4~

What makes the pedal work is a switch which simply opens or closes a circuit allowing electricity to flow or not.   On some pedals the switch is normally closed (NC) at rest, some are normally opened (NO) at rest.  It is not possible to reverse pedal operation by simply swapping wires between the tip and sleeve of the TS plug.  Note these pedals do not use TRS plugs, different type of pedal.  

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
On 4/25/2023 at 5:32 AM, Brad Saucier said:

Only certain Casio models can do that.  Unfortunately the 1000V is not one.  Some Privia models can, like PX-560 and PX-5S. 

Hi Brad, sorry to jump into this topic, but how do I change the polarity of my three pedals on the PX 560?

I've read the manual, and can't find the information.

52 minutes ago, eldo gultom said:

Hi Brad, sorry to jump into this topic, but how do I change the polarity of my three pedals on the PX 560?

I've read the manual, and can't find the information.

Connect a standard TS plug switch type pedal and turn on the PX-560.  Do not touch the pedal until the main screen has appeared.  The 560 will automatically detect "polarity" and adapt. 

1 hour ago, Brad Saucier said:

Connect a standard TS plug switch type pedal and turn on the PX-560.  Do not touch the pedal until the main screen has appeared.  The 560 will automatically detect "polarity" and adapt. 

Does SP-33 pedal connector use a TS plug? or should I find an adaptor from pedal connector to a TS plug?

I bought this used PX-560 with a stand  and damper pedal (SP3), a 3 pedals also an x stand with a very low price.

I was so excited I forgot to try the 3 pedals.

I was assumed the 3 pedals is SP 33, last night I asked the previous owner, he told me that the stand and the 3 pedals are not a default SP33 for PX-560.

It actually a SP30 from his previous PX 110 or 120 (he forgot which) that he put the PX 560 on to the stand (and the 3 pedals) - with a little adjustment on the stand to fit the PX 560, he said he forgot when exactly it get reversed before or after it placed on the PX 560 .

I just realize yesterday that 3 pedals are in reverse "polarity", are there any way to adjust or reverse the polarity of a SP30 for PX 560?

Edited by eldo gultom

I don't know of a way to reverse the pedal operation without reversing the basic design of the pedal board circuitry.  A closed circuit should be open, and open should be closed.  Again, that's regarding pedals connected to the pedal unit port below the piano. For pedals connected to the standard damper pedal jacks, the piano automatically adjusts "polarity" during power up.