Video Files on Forum ×

LocalOff on CT-S1000v

Hi Everyone,

I have managed to get the CT-S1000v connected to other synths via USB.  It seems to play nicely with them, with two exceptions if you play the keyboard all is fine and if LocalOff is set then nothing comes out of the casio speakers which is great.  If I turn on the ARP or the Sequencer on the other synth then the casio plays along with it.  Should this be happening?.  I would have expected to just hear the sound from the other synth unless in LocalOn mode.  I have them hooked up to the audio in/line in on the CT-S1000v so everything comes through the casio speakers. 

I also noticed if you change program/patch on the casio it causes the other device to program change as well, even if you change category on the casio it still seems to send a program change I guess CC message even in LocalOff mode.

thanks.

Edited by Maddog

Well, first thing to understand is that a keyboard like this is basically a MIDI controller and a sound module in one box. Each part of the system can be thought of as individual components in different boxes with  MIDI cables connecting them, just for clarity of thought.  Also keep in mind that MIDI is a two way communication method (MIDI IN and OUT).

Local control OFF is a function which internally disconnects the sound module part of the keyboard from the MIDI controller aspect of the keyboard, but the sound generator can still receive MIDI data from an external source.  In fact, it will only generate sound whenever MIDI is received from an external source, basically speaking.  That is the only function of local control.  It does not prevent any MIDI data from being output to an external device, such as program change data.  

That is all to say, if the Casio is making a sound, the external synth is sending MIDI data to the Casio and the 1000V is receiving it.  You would need to find a way to disconnect MIDI output of the other synth to the 1000V input.  The 1000V does not have a function to block incoming MIDI.  It also doesn't have a function to stop sending program changes whenever a tone is selected.  You'll need to find an external way to block that data. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:20 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Well, first thing to understand is that a keyboard like this is basically a MIDI controller and a sound module in one box. Each part of the system can be thought of as individual components in different boxes with  MIDI cables connecting them, just for clarity of thought.  Also keep in mind that MIDI is a two way communication method (MIDI IN and OUT).

Local control OFF is a function which internally disconnects the sound module part of the keyboard from the MIDI controller aspect of the keyboard, but the sound generator can still receive MIDI data from an external source.  In fact, it will only generate sound whenever MIDI is received from an external source, basically speaking.  That is the only function of local control.  It does not prevent any MIDI data from being output to an external device, such as program change data.  

That is all to say, if the Casio is making a sound, the external synth is sending MIDI data to the Casio and the 1000V is receiving it.  You would need to find a way to disconnect MIDI output of the other synth to the 1000V input.  The 1000V does not have a function to block incoming MIDI.  It also doesn't have a function to stop sending program changes whenever a tone is selected.  You'll need to find an external way to block that data. 

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the reply.  I just wondered if there was a setting hidden somewhere.  Out of interest I tried setting the volume balance and patch volume to zero to see if that would stop it, but no it still played the piano over the sequence.  My other synth has a CC Off function which seemed to work for the program change, which is good.

thanks.

Hi everyone,

I managed to get it working.  I can now play the sequence on the other synth and have the sound go into the CT-S1000v through the Audio in / Line in and be able to play sounds from the CT-S1000v whilst the sequence is playing.

How I achieved this is by re-reading what Brad had mentioned about switching off the midi and Bingo it worked.  I set the Tx to Off and that did it.

This is great, I can also now turn the volume off and switch on the Tx on the other synth and have the sequencer sound play using the CT-S1000v, if I want to.  There is one thing I don't fully understand and that is why on the CT-S1000v it only plays the sequence using the Piano, possibly program 1, I can't tell or possibly a GM Piano.  Strange thing is if I set the Tx on the other synth to be midi channel 10, then I get drum sounds from the CT-S1000v?.  Can anyone give me a clue why this might be happening?.  Changing the program makes no difference, I only get a Piano sound playing the sequence.

thanks for the help, I'm getting there slowly.

The 1000V is General MIDI compliant.  The GM standard defines channel 10 as a drum channel.  This is basically why you're hearing drums on ch 10.  As far as the piano sound, the user manual has tone charts which shows the program change data needed to select other tones.  A bank number sent, followed by a program change is needed.