Video Files on Forum ×

Auto overwrite recordings?

NWS
Go to solution Solved by NWS,

I have 10 CT-X700 keyboards which are used in a classroom setting. When kids fill up the memory recording music (which must be extremely small as it fills up very quickly) the process to clear the memory so a new recording can be made is very tricky ('exit', long-press 'record', 'enter', 'yes'). Is there a way to set the keyboard so it just automatically overwrites the memory, instead of giving an error message and refusing to record?

Thanks for the response. That's really disappointing since it renders the recording function basically useless in a classroom setting. That was half of the reason why I ordered 10 of these--having the ability to record. The other half was the touch sensitivity...unfortunately the touch sensitivity is very different on the white keys vs. the black keys. Not at all even moving between white and black.

The memory capacity of the CT-X700 is 40,000 notes per song, and it will hold 6 songs. You're exceeding this? 

In regards to the keyboard action and white / black keys - this also seems very unusual. This keyboard action has been used on countless models for about the last 10 years and I don't recall anyone having such an issue with it.  I don't have access to a CT-X700 right now, but I could could get access to one after Thanksgiving to help you troubleshoot both items. Feel free to send me a PM. 

I haven't had time to investigate thoroughly, but in some cases I'll clear the memory for a student, then about 5 minutes later they get the memory error again. I haven't figured out how to switch to a different memory bank ("song"), but for my needs the more complicated the process the less usable (3rd and 4th graders primarily). While teaching I don't have time to dig through menus on each keyboard. Thanks for the offer to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Finally had time to dig deeper into this.

There appears to be a bug. If 5 different recordings have been made, no matter how short they are, the next time you power on and try to record the error message will display (which you can't get rid of unless you press 5, AKA "exit"). If you go through the lengthy process of deleting a recording, you can then record again. But again, no matter how short that recording was, the next time you power on again and try to record you are greeted with the same error message.

Now, if when you get the error message you press 5 to "exit", and then you press record once again, it WILL record. And then you can record again after that recording without the error message...that is until you power off and power back on...then the error message comes back.

I tested this on multiple keyboards and the bugs are consistent. This keyboard is begging for a firmware update.

Regarding the inconsistency between black and white keys:

This might be more of a hardware issue, but when playing quietly, the black keys are much more quite than the white keys. This problem is very consistent. When playing loudly it's the opposite, the black keys are louder than the white keys. This makes playing musically and fluidly impossible.

Edited by NWS
Fixed minor punctuation

The keyboard has a maximum memory capacity of 5 user songs.  Each new song recording automatically assigns to the next empty user song number.  If all 5 user songs are recorded, the memory message is displayed to indicate all user songs are occupied by previous recordings, regardless of song length.  

Two options are available to proceed.  A song must be deleted to proceed, or a track within an existing song must be overwritten to proceed.  

To overwrite previously recorded song, press the song bank button and select a previously recorded user song.  User songs are numbered 172 through 176.  Once the song number is selected, press record/stop.  "Rec Trk" should appear.  This is to select a track number.  Up to 6 tracks within a song are available.  The track numbers previously recorded will be indicated on the screen.  If track 1 is the only one, all that needs to be done is record to track 1 again.  Previous recording data will automatically be overwritten.  

Yes, that's a horrible design. I'd like to recommend a firmware update to fix this. The simplest fix would just be to add an option to automatically overwrite recordings after 5 recordings have been made. I don't mean to sound harsh, but when after recording 5 little pieces and attempting to record again, you're greeted with an error message, and can't do anything without finding the "exit" button, that just really feels much more like a glaring bug than a feature. Then the steps to resolve it are numerous and not at all easy to remember. And even after completing those steps, you can only record once more before getting the error message again, unless you go through that process again 4 more times!

At this point I very much regret purchasing 10 of these.