Video Files on Forum ×

Casio PX-S1000: MIDI latency depends on the selected sound

Tom_CH

I have a Casio PX-S1000, which I also use as a MIDI controller on Pianoteq 8.

I noticed that even with an ASIO driver, the latency is still higher than with other MIDI controllers. My research then revealed that another user had noticed the same thing and found out by chance that the latency caused by the PX-S1000 depends on the sound selected on the piano.

The latency is particularly high when the main piano sound is selected. If you select a different sound (e.g. organ), the additional latency added by the controller is significantly reduced, making it much easier to play overall. You then have almost direct control. If sound preset 1 remains selected, the latency is noticeably distracting. 

Is this known and documented somewhere? Or is there even a firmware update that fixes this effect?

And I am interested in a PX-S5000 or PX-S7000. Do their MIDI implementations have the same behavior or are they even better MIDI controllers?

I would also suggest trying to turn OFF or turn down "Hammer Response".  I was not aware that this would make a difference via MIDI but what you're describing is a piano specific nuance that truly makes the touch to sound connection better with the built-in piano tones.  An acoustic piano does have "latency" - the keys don't function like on/off buttons there is momentum and time involved with the mechanism leading up the hammer strike.

Thank you Martin!

Your explanation makes perfect sense. That should be the explanation.

Once I've figured it out, it's no longer a problem. The latency really drops dramatically when you select a different sound.

Do you know if this behavior is with all Casio digital pianos? Or only on the somewhat older PX-S1000?

Best regards
Tom