Video Files on Forum ×

Data Management 6 doesn't see .MID files on my PC for WK-7600

Hello all. I'm sure this topic is buried somewhere on the forum, but I couldn't find it. 

Anyway, just got the WK-7600 and trying to use Data Management 6 to transfer my old .mid songs from my PC to the keyboard, using the USB cable. I can see different items on the keyboard memory, but my .mid files on my Pc don't show up. I've made sure the correct directory has been assigned.

I want to be able to save them in the song memory, change tones, etc and re save.

I can load them from my SD card, but all I am able to do is play them. Is there a way to get them into song memory from there for editing? 

Unfortunately standard MIDI files can't be loaded into keyboard memory for editing.  They can only be played back directly from SD card.  You'll want to use DAW software to edit your files.  Tones can be assigned there by using the proper bank and program change data.  The keyboard will send that data to be recorded each time a tone is selected, or you can manually input the numbers from tone charts in the WK appendix.  

Here's some screen shots of the menus that are available for midi files in Ntrack. Maybe they are similar to those in other software programs. Is Ntrack like a DAW? I'm not sure if I'm changing Header data or track data.  The first photo is from Piano Roll Midi editing and right click on piano roll screen. Is any of this useful?

In subsequent photos, if I right click on the Midi track, the initial drop-down shows up, with subsequent menus.

WK 7600 Ntrack 8.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack 2.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack 3.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack 4.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack 5.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack 6.jpg

WK 7600 Ntrack 7.jpg

Edited by Lurch

On your first photo in the MIDI event window, track 8, you see a bunch of program change events.  That's what is telling the WK to change tones for you.  Looks like that smaller window "piano roll settings " will let you filter event types.  I would delete or edit all of the program change events in each track if you want to use your own tones.  

I deleted all Program Changes. I can't test the edited mid file because when it's exported with Ntrack, the file size is doubled and as it turns out the WK-7600 can only play a file size of 320KB or under. Exported file size is 680kb. 🧐

Ok, so the way to make the instrument changes save is to use the Midi Event list, delete all of the Program changes, except the one that matches the new instrument in the Casio Tone list. Or edit the remaining Program Change to the instrument you want. Then export. 

But, the file size is still doubled or more, making it unusable in the WK-7600. May have to try another DAW program