Video Files on Forum ×

Reverb and Rotary

I just picked up a PX350.   Love the piano and looking forward to making some splits and layers.  But I am disappointed in the maximum reverb in the electric pianos, even when I go to "Stadium".  Likewise, the Lesley Rotary in the organs is not nearly as good as the ancient Voce B I have been using with a PX100.  Even when I put the "Flanger" in.  Is there anything else I can do?

And does the PX560 do a better job with these two issues, and can its modulator wheel control and increase reverb and rotation?

The 560 is definitely more programmable than the 350.  It gives much more control over effects parameters, DSP editing, tone editing, and master effects.  Yes the mod wheel can control rotary speed, or a knob, or a pedal can.  If you're looking to upgrade, I think you would be happy.  The 350 is a fine keyboard itself, but it does have some limits compared to the 560.  

Thanks Brad.   I don't do any sequencing or arpegiating or use drum patches or anything.   Don't need any of that stuff.   All I do is play piano, electric piano, organ, and rarely strings in a band setting.  I like having the speakers.  Is there a model you recommend that is great for all of those things with a really good Lesley sound on the organ and a really good tremelo on the electric piano?  I would also need buttons to change quickly from song to song rather than any scrolling.  Love the textured keys and feel of the PX350 - wouldn't want to give up that.  Thanks, Allan

To clarify how this works on various Casio models that supports it, rotary speaker emulation is a DSP insert effect on a tone.  Some preset organ tones don't have this DSP effect.  Some do.  Tremolo on electric piano tones is also handled by a DSP effect. 

Controlling things like rotary speed and tremolo speed is done by editing DSP effect parameters by menus or configuring a physical controller like a built in knob, wheel or pedal to target said DSP parameter, allowing real time control during a performance. Unfortunately the PX-350 does not provide a way to edit or control DSP effects, but the PX-560 does (as well as some other models).  Any tone on the PX-560 can be edited to add DSP effects, and it also provides tools to assign DSP controls to knobs or pedals. 

For buttons to switch between different performance setups, Casio provides registration memory as a way to store a configured set of controls, tones, effects and more needed for a performance.  Registrations are arranged in banks.  Each bank can store several different performance setups (registrations) accessible by direct access buttons.  Multiple banks can be stored, accessible with the bank button.  

In addition to the PX-560, some other models with 88 textured weighted keys, DSP effects with real time physical controllers, and built-in speakers would be the PX-S3100 and PX-S6000.