Video Files on Forum ×

settings changing as I play without touching sliders or knobs

keslavi
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

I'm a dualing pianist; 90% of the time I'm on Concert Grand.  

as I'm playing, sometimes the settings will start changing somewhat randomly without touching anything but the keys... as if the sliders are getting jiggled as I play. 

then sometimes the sound just "thins out" withough anything changing on the screen.

sometimes it's the cutoff, sometimes delay or reverb; i'll see them popping up on the screen.  things come back if i change the patch and come back.

what can I do to resolve this? 

video here, finally caught a moment of it consistently changing. 

Edited by keslavi

Sliders and knobs like this are self cleaning, but they have to be used occasionally in order to do so.   It's true for any potentiometer.  If corrosion and dirt begins to build, they can cause noisy erratic signals, even while idle, which would cause settings to change.  I would start by simply sliding the sliders fully a bunch of times, same for turning the knobs.  

• Solution

Just to update this, it was solved.  The original poster asked this question in the Facebook group where he solved it by cleaning the sliders and knobs.  Judging from his statement that he is simply using this as a piano 90% of the time, I suspected the sliders and knobs are rarely used, if ever, which could lead to erratic operation.  This is simply how any potentiometer behaves with age, certain environmental conditions and lack of use.  I always suggest simply turning the knobs, sliding the sliders, and turning the wheels occasionally.  They can clean themselves and remain in good condition. 

• Like 2