Video Files on Forum ×

Very interested in the PX-5S, just need some info

Jefsong

I have a couple of questions about PX-5S. My main board in my rig is a Motif 88 Classic. I've wanted to upgrade for sometime now but another Motif (XS or XF) will set me back more than I am willing to pay at this time. PLUS the weight it starting to get to me. I have gotten very used to the POWER GRAND piano patch. Can anyone compare the PX-5S pianos with the POWER GRAND in the Motif? What will I be missing? Lastly, it is also important that I am able to trigger sounds from an external keyboard on another midi channel like I do in MASTER MODE on the Motif. I am seriously considering the PX-5S. I really appreciate any insight you guys can offer. Thanks so much

On the PX5S you can assign sliders and knobs to Zones. Each Zone can have a separate MIDI channel (MIDI out on/off)  and optionally set to "Generator off" so that it can be used to control an external device. The restriction is that on calling a stageSetup on the PX5S it will send programChange to an external Keyboard (even with MSB...) but no configuration data (SysEx, pan, chorus, ambiance) But you can send them at once via the Songseqencer if necessary or send them by touching a slider or knob.

JefSong,

Welcome to the forum.  You can control the PX-5S sounds from another keyboard.  Generally speaking Zones 1-4 are controlled by the PX-5S Stage Setting but that also leaves channels 5-16 open for control from another device.  

As for the piano sound.  There are many audio examples online including these which take advantage of some of the insert EQ:
https://soundcloud.com/voxpops

Thank you Mike. I have found your online videos to be very helpful! One quick question regarding the Zones 5-16. What I typically would like to do is have a small 49 key controller triggering say midi channel 3 on the PX-5S for horns or lead sounds leaving the PX-5S available for Piano or Rhodes and layers etc simultaneously on a different midi channel. It appears that this can be done. Would this kind of setup be created in the Stage Settings and saved as a "Stage" preset?

Also I would like to hear those samples but the link does not seem to work for me.
https://soundcloud.com/voxpops

Thank you again for your attention.