Video Files on Forum ×

What's the cross-over between the PX-5S and the XW series

dc2k

How much functionality does the PX-5S share with both of the XW series. I haven't got my PX-5s yet but reading about them all, it seems it shares quite a bit with the two synths. Does the px-5s have a similar drawbar organ to the xw-p1?

If you had a PX-5S which would you get?

I think I would go with a G1 because it's seems to be geared towards recording music.

Hi Dc2k.  The PX-5S really has very little in common with the XW synths...  the  hex layers are in both the 5S and XW-P1, but the engines are completely different. I have the PX-5S and wanted to add a synth that could do monophonic leads....  the decision to choose between the P1 and G1 was a tough one. I finally chose the G1 because of the ability to load in custom drum and instrument samples.  The G1 does not have hex layers like the P1, but the 5S can handle that quite easily.. and then some.  If I didn't have the 5S, I would have had a MUCH harder time choosing between the two. 

Even though they use very different engines, the G1 and 5S sound REALLY nice together. I run the G1 into the PX-5S audio ins and record them together using the 5S USB drive. Not having to use a computer to record a WAV file is very nice... nothing to get in the way of the creative process.  B)

The PX-5S really has very little in common with the XW synths...

you can do this bladerunner theme easy enough though right?  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4530-blade-runner-px-5s/  

Because I was looking forward to doing that. I've heard the music Mike Martin's has put up and that's the style of music I would like to try to create. 

The G1 does not have hex layers like the P1, but the 5S can handle that quite easily.. and then some.

So you're saying you can use the hex layer function on the ps-5x to layer sounds on the xw-g1? You just connect the two and you can use the ps-5x as a controller for the xw-g1?  

And you're saying the ps-5x cannot do a monophonic lead. I guess I either misunderstood the synth capabilities of the ps-5x are or I misunderstand what a monophonic lead is.

Bare in mind I am a novice when it comes to digital keyboards and synthesizers but I thought a monophonic lead was just using a patch you create in a synth to play a lead — using one note at a time. I though the ps-5x had wave samples (or any sample) you could create patches out of and these could be saved as stage settings. 

I was going to ask this in its own thread too but I might as well ask it here. Say you have the attack and release levels turned up for a patch on the G1 and you play a two notes in succession. Will the first note cut out as soon as you press the second or will it complete its fade-out?

The PX5 doesn't have a drawbar organ mode.  It does however provide some drawbar function with it's 6 sliders when a stage setting is designed for it.

Can anybody create a setting to use the drawbar function or is it only with built in settings?

Appreciate the forum and all the help.

Edited by dc2k

you can do this bladerunner theme easy enough though right?  

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/4530-blade-runner-px-5s/  

Because I was looking forward to doing that. I've heard the music Mike Martin's has put up and that's the style of music I would like to try to create. 

yes = the bladerunner sound was originally for the XW...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you're saying you can use the hex layer function on the ps-5x to layer sounds on the xw-g1? You just connect the two and you can use the ps-5x as a controller for the xw-g1?

The PX-5S can do 14 layer by itself... and yes you can also layer it further with the G1 via MIDI if you'd like....or just use the PX-5S to control the G1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you're saying the ps-5x cannot do a monophonic lead. I guess I either misunderstood the synth capabilities of the ps-5x are or I misunderstand what a monophonic lead is. 

a monophonic lead is where you can only play one note at a time.. this allows you to use some special techniques.. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Say you have the attack and release levels turned up for a patch on the G1 and you play a two notes in succession. Will the first note cut out as soon as you press the second or will it complete its fade-out?

if you are in a normal mode the notes will stay and you can play chords... if you are in monophonic aka solo mode it will cut off - this is by design

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I though the ps-5x had wave samples (or any sample) you could create patches out of and these could be saved as stage settings. 

Can anybody create a setting to use the drawbar function or is it only with built in settings?

You can make Stage Settings from any of the available tone/waves in the PX-5S. The tones/waves can be heavily edited to make essentially unique sounds...  

The sliders emulate drawbars by adding tones/ simulated overtones into the overall mix. Very handy the sliders and knobs are! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may want to check out the videos on youtube so you can hear how all of this actually sounds.. just

search form Casio XW-P1, Casio XW-G1 or Casio PX-5S... lots of demos out there!   :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had an XWP1 for maybe a year... I just got the PX5S so I've been comparing them today... I have the PX on the lower rack and the XW on the upper.  If you're using some hex sounds on both boards it is awesome.   Since I just got the PX, I haven't messed with the organs in depth... in ways they sound better but the control and rotary is better in many ways on the XW, and of course many organ players do not like a hammer weighted action.  

Since I just got the PX, I haven't messed with the organs in depth... in ways they sound better but the control and rotary is better in many ways on the XW, and of course many organ players do not like a hammer weighted action.  

I have them MIDI'd together so I have the option of playing the XW-G1 from the PX-5S and vice versa.  I also run the G1's audio into the PX-5S so I don't need a mixer and can record directly onto the 5S's USB drive. They sound very nice together.. I use the G1 mainly for drums and solo synth sounds and the PX for everything else. 

For around $1,500, the XW-P1 or XW-G1 and PX-5S makes for a very impressive, lightweight and battery operated rig.  :)

if i can ask a question within this for Scott... is the input TRS?  (lazy, i'll look it up later) and do you have volume control issues playing live between the two boards without a separate volume pedal for each board??

There are two 1/4" inputs (L/mono & right) and a 1/8" stereo input. No volume issues. The PX-5S and XW have very similar output volumes, so it works great. And even though the sound engines are very different, they sound very good together.  I'm a very happy man!  :)

• Like 1