Video Files on Forum ×

Is there a way to adjust the action response?

Choppin

Hello,

As I've been playing the Px-5s, I'm having a little trouble with the action response.  What I mean is, the keys don't seem to come back up fast enough.  Things like trills, or flams on a drum kit are very hard to reproduce.  Is there a way to adjust the action, or maybe the physical position of a key when it is considered released?

Thank you

Hello,

As I've been playing the Px-5s, I'm having a little trouble with the action response.  What I mean is, the keys don't seem to come back up fast enough.  Things like trills, or flams on a drum kit are very hard to reproduce.  Is there a way to adjust the action, or maybe the physical position of a key when it is considered released?

Thank you

Not the physical feel but you can adjust the touch response so you need to exert less effort to trigger a note. 

On a piano Stage Setting such as 0-0 Concert Grand, try adjusting the "Hammer Response" parameter. 

To do this, press the EDIT button,
Select Stage Setting
Scroll down and choose Common Edit (its on the second page)
Scroll down to the second page and change Hammer Response to 0. 

The Hammer Response parameter simulates the time it takes hammers to swing in an acoustic piano.  This parameter is only enabled in the Piano Stage Settings like 0-0, 1-0, 2-0...etc.

Thank you, both!

Mike Martin, I saw that parameter and wondered what it was. :)   I guess higher values mean a longer swing so more of a pause between the key press and the string sound?  I'll play around with it and see what happens.

And just to add, Mike, your videos and fantastic support including the online clinics are what ultimately led to my decision to purchase the Px-5s.  The level of support available is really incredible.

• Like 2

Never played a Px-3 but on the Px-5s, the "key up" time it takes to allow a second strike to sound the same note still seems a bit too slow for me.  However, a couple of adjustments (as suggested above) have helped improve things.

On the stage setting itself, following Mike Martin's advice, I changed the Hammer Response to 0.  I tried it at different levels to see how pronounced the effect was and I find a significant difference between the highest setting and the lowest.  On the ConcertGrand, the default is 2.  0 is better for me.

* Under Sys Setting> General > Touch I've set that to Light.  Even though I'm a fairly heavy player, this definitely improves things.

When it comes to trills or repeatedly sounding the same note in fast succession, this seems to help get the sound out.