Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S for the Studio?

Denicio

Hey Casio Guys and Gals,

I have a studio and currently own a terrible M Audio 88ES. I try using it with Synthology Ivory and the keyboard makes it an unpleasant experience. Most folks complain about the lack of velocity.

My question is this....how good with the PX5S be for the studio? I mainly use VST synths like Kontakt, Reason and Ivory.

I have no need for it as a stage piano but for quick song writing session it would be very helpful to just plug into an amp.

Plus some of the onboard sounds from the videos I have seen sound pretty amazing.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Dennis aka Denicio

• Like 1

Hi Dennis and welcome. The "S" in PX-5S can be "stage" or "studio".. for me it's a 95% studio, 5% outside work. It is a great softsynth controller... very flexible MIDI routings and the 6 sliders and 4 knobs can be assigned to control just about anything on your VST/DAW. And like you pointed out, the on-board sounds are amazing and it is fun to program your own stuff if that's what you're into.  :)

Hello Denicio,

When you say studio, I think of a sequencer workstation.  The Px-5s has some sequencing capabilities, but really isn't a sequencer.  However, you can program songs that have multiple parts.

That being said, I think it's an excellent all-around machine.  The feel of the keys and the velocity sensitivity can make for some pretty subtle playing.  I think you'll be happy with it's arsenal of sounds and the modifications you can do.  The GM sounds out of the box aren't really anything to write home about.  But if you pair those with the layering and some of the synth controls you can get some really nice sounds.

Playing-wise, it feels great.  The key texture and the action in general have a natural feel.

The Px-5s has the ability to record (WAV files) directly to a plugged in USB.  It's really nice.  You can store takes, or doodles, or whatever comes to mind - whatever you play is recorded.  You can play it back immediately afterward.  You could try a part, or a whole song a few times, record each one, and play any of the takes back.

Also, if you have a midi file, you can convert that to SMF format (with help from the freely available editor), store it on a USB drive, plug that into the Px-5s, and play the midi file directly from the Px-5s - 4 tracks (channels) simulatneously each mapped to a different zone within a Stage Setting (but the midi file could also switch stage settings and program changes within a stage setting) .

I think it would make a wonderful tool in the studio.  Playability, midi control, sound modification, built in DSP effects, input and mixing of external sound sources - it's all there.

I use my PX-5S with Ivory all the time. It's great. I've even set up Ivory so some of the virtual knobs can be controlled by the real knobs/sliders on the PX-5S. The only virtual knob I can't seem to control is the one I'd like to control most, overall level. That's not the fault of the PX-5S, though.

I've also used the PX-5S with Apple's MainStage, and can map the controls with that easily as well.