Video Files on Forum ×

Tips for downloaded sounds

amaverick

Here is a tip for all you guys when you download new sounds for your XW-P1. I'm sure it would work the same for the G1 also.

Before you play the sounds...

1. Make sure the modulation wheel is all the way down.

2. Start your octave out on zero. You can always adjust it later to taste.

3. Set the k1 thru k4 knobs to zero. This should ensure a dry mix to start out with.You can always adjust it to your taste afterwards. 

4. Put the 1 thru 6 sliders left to right at the halfway point.This just adjusts the volume for the six layers to the same amount.The 7th slider controls the total volume for the whole patch. Set the last two sliders from the right all the way down.  This temporarily turns off the master effect for the whole patch( if they are used.)You can adjust them slowly up get desired sound.These last two will do nothing if no total master effect is set.

I've created several hex layer patches on my XW. I've noticed switching between patches if I have the knobs adjusted for one patch....it affects the next hex patch I switch to. I only notice this on hex sounds so far.Could be because of the insane amount of tweaking you can do to these sounds.

This should get you closer to what the creator of a Hex patch wanted you to hear.

• Like 2

My HexLayer patches sound always as they were saved, irregardless of slider or knob positions. One issue I have is that it is hard to set the sliders precisely to zero, they don't "click" like the knobs when in mid position. 

• Like 1

I tried mine today and found out it did save my hex layers correctly. I made the mistake of playing two Hex layers I that I had made where, I used similar effects on both.I thought it was carrying knob positions over . My mistake. :D

The sliders I like to start out with them halfway.

I usually do all the steps above before I even power on my XW. It's like I always have the same starting point to begin with this way. Kinda like a pre-flight check for airplanes :lol:

Cool :) 

Filters.... check, detune..... check, sliders.....check, mod wheel.....check, ENGAGE !  :D

Btw, have you maybe figured out how to quickly return the volume to zero with a slider? I know that you can do that in menu selecting the volume parameter and then pressing the + and - simultaneously, or just + then quickly -. It works with the PART + and PART - too, if you want to instantenously return to part 1 from part 6. We should start a topic with these shortcuts....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Also make sure the files are for the PX-5 and not the XW-P1 or XWG -1. It helps a lot if you go into each keyboards sound downloads section on the forum pages.Check the left side of the screen.

I'm pretty sure my XW-P1 files end  in in .ZLT (Hex Layers)  .ZAN(KEYBOARD ALL DATA)  . ZPF(Performance Settings  .ZTN(Modified Tones). If anybody knows anymore of these XW-P1 file types I would like to know. :)

I'm not really sure if the XWG-1 files are the same file types as the XW-P1 , since I do not own this board.

I had the same problem when I tried to open a PX-5 file type on my XW-P1. Just won't work unfortunately.

• Like 1