Video Files on Forum ×

Casio Copycats

amaverick

How long do you all think it will be before you see other Synths /Keyboards with Hex Layer Tech??

I bet within the year you will see Hex Tech is some form or another in new keyboards.

They will probably give it some crazy name like  M.S.M.N  technology.(Multiple Sounds Making Noise). :lol:

• Like 1

To be fair there is nothing particularly novel in the idea of stacking layers to make a single sound within a synthesizer (as opposed to stacking sounds from multiple synthesizers, which has been possible since MIDI). For years Roland synthesizers have stacked four layers in a single tone and even their recent synths stack three layers (Roland calls them "partials"). Some synthesizers allow eight layers, some can go up to 32 (Kurzweil). Six is on okay number but it isn't magical or special in any sense unless you believe in numerology.

• Like 1

I remember the first time me and friend MIDId our keyboards together. WOW! 2 sound multitimbre.. it was like we were GODS!.. Then the DX7II came out letting you stack 2 sounds on one KB. My Roland D-50 let you stack 4 sounds...that was pretty groundbreaking. The PX-5S lets you do 2 hexlayers plus 2 other single tones.. Honestly I don't think I could work with much more than that.. can get pretty muddy unless you really know what you are doing.  I do have a couple tricks up my sleeve for a new set of hexlayers for the PX-5S that would probably port well to an XW-P1.  :)

• Like 1

That's true for sure. I like the way Casio implemented the sliders for their layers. Maybe that's what I meant would be copied

.Man coming up with two layers before was tough,but man six is really a challenge. The sliders really help alot.

All this sound from one Synth. Are you sure its not magic? :lol:

The real-time control of the layer levels using the sliders is admittedly a nice feature. I agree that's something we'll probably see more of in synths going forward (although certain models could do this already). We might see more step ("groove") sequencers too now that the XW models have proven the viability of having this built-in to a keyboard (as opposed to being a separate piece of hardware)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...