Video Files on Forum ×

Privia px 5s Zone Key Ranges Edit

iplaykeyboards

Hi everybody,

This is my first post on the forum.

I'm going to purchase the Casio privia px 5s. I play keyboards in a function band here in the UK, and require all the bread and butter sounds for cover songs, it will be replacing my Roland Juno gi, so I'm hoping it's a better swap!

Questions:-

1. If I were to create four zones on the keyboard, each with a different tone in each zone, can the key ranges(split points) be changed for each zone?

2. Also in regards to the above question, could the octave be changed for each zone?

3. And finally could the zones be transposed to different keys?

Couldn't find the answers on the forums so hoping someone can help.

Regards

Andy

Many thanks Scott.

I know the pianos sound nice, but can anyone tell me what the brasses , saxophones etc. sound like? I'm in a covers band and currently use the roland juno Gi but have run out of keys!

I'm tempted with the korg krome 88 but the casio is swaying me!

Anybody tell me how they stack up against each other?

Ive had casio privias in the past and loved the piano but the other sounds like brass have been thin and weak.

Hoping the 5s is better than previous models?

Thanks

Andy

• Like 1

Hey Andy,, those sounds outside of piano are great... The PX-5S definitely improves on previous models.  Hex layer sounds are the total opposite of "Thin and weak". 

Here's a long list of audio demos of the factory stage settings and a few of the freely downloadable sounds created by users like me here on the forum.  Look for my Stereo Pizzicato in the list.  It's the same pizzicato samples that Casio has been using for years but with the power of the PX-5S behind them they take on a new life.  I also created a great Velocity Tenor Sax but there's no audio demo of it yet.

https://soundcloud.com/casio-px-5s

The main difference between the Korg Krome and the PX-5S is the fact that the Krome is workstation while the PX-5S is more designed for live use. That being said, I use my PX-5S 99% studio, 1% live. Also the Krome is a lot more expensive.. for the price difference you can add an ipad or laptop and some music software to use with the PX-5S. The keyboard action on the PX-5S is better than the Krome, in my opinion (and most people).

What I like about using a laptop or iPad is YOU can choose the type of sequencer, drums or audio recorder you want and don't have to be locked into the ones that are on the keyboard.. you can a :) lso use the ipad or laptop for lots of other stuff. Just my 2 cents. 

I have both the Krome 88 and the Casio PX5s.  The Casio is much better, IMHO, for live performance...The Korg doesn't do well when tweaking on the fly, since you have to go through menus and make adjustments with a sometimes finicky Touch Screen.  

As far as sounds, I'll take the Casio for pianos, basses, saxes guitars and drums...I'll take the korg for Organs, Brass, and winds in general.

Action is no contest... Casio all the way.

I just purchased a second PX5S, for a backup...I think that tells you where I'm coming from.  Good luck!

crem

I can't speak for other boards as this is my first good one but there are a couple of sax sounds in the String/brass section called Breathy ASax and Breathy TSax. They are two of my favourites tones on the board sounding really natural, realistic and nuanced.

Chuck demos them here but TBH, I don't think the way he plays them here does them justice. They sound better on my end:

http://youtu.be/zjzUbYHNIB4?t=5m32s

Currently I like to use them to play solos over some distorted organ phrases.

And don't forget there are tons of ways to adjust all the tones.

Chuck demos all the tones in this series (but not sure if does the stage settings somewhere):

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4lH80nobNBLM1intqchzwqd2bQHLiNY9