Video Files on Forum ×

Recording a phrase with multiple instruments

Wdane

How do you record a phrase with one instrument and then then record over it with a different instrument?  Is there a tutorial explaining this, and the limitations of it (like the # of distinct sounds I can have in a single phrase?).  I'm sure this has been asked before, but I tried searching the forum and Google and could not find out how.

Thanks a bunch.

• Like 1

Here it is:

It is possible to do a 8 Tack  multitrack recording, AND hearing the previous recording, by following these steps:

- Record a Phrase, or use a converted 16 Bar Drum Track.--> put it in a Phrase e.g. 200

- Create a new song. and press the insert key (located near on Stage Setting1 button)

and select phrase 200 with no repeatings and no transpose (this advice just as example)

- Store and name the song as "Songtest1" on position 150

- Now if you press song the display "Songtest1" and if you press "play" it will play the recorded track.

But here you will notice that it might use a different sound.

Note that the SongRecorder is independent from the StageSettings and the the Sounds which are configured with the StageSetting.

So you have to create once an 8 Track song as an template to have 8 Sounds for the recording.

This is your "StageSetting" for the TrackRecorder. If you use it, then you will get a copy of the template as a new song

To create the Template, press "Edit" (when "Song" lights) and you will go into the "Song Edit" mode.

Then press key down to go into Song Mixer and turn knob 2 in the fields MSB and ProgramChange to select the sound you have recorded.

Have a look into the last pages of the "tutorial". Here you find the corresponding MSB and ProgamChange Numbers for the sound.

At least you find the name of the sound in the 3rd line to control if you have adjusted the correct Numbers.

Tip: If you want to use Track 1 for Drums, you have to select 120 as MSB and 000 or higher for the Drumset.

How to just that I have figured out here.

Then press the "+" Key, which you find near the Tempo key, to switch the Track.

Now you will notice that MSB and ProgammChange can be adjusted to a different sound.

Unfortunately I could not find out why I can not use the Hex Layers for that. Combination MSB 97 does not work.  A bug?

Now we start a multitrack recording.

First we select Song (alread having one Track)

Then press Phrase twice (-> flashing "Record")

Then press Start: You will hear Track 1 playing and you can record your track.

If you press record again it will stop recording.

If you are not satisfied, press phrase again to get record flashing and start a next trial.

If you are satisfied, press write and select the number for the new phrase (201).

Before pressing Enter to save you can rename the Phrase.

Now if you press "Start" you will hear the just recorded phrase, because "Phrase" is glowing

Next step will be to put this phrase into the next track.

Turn off "Phrase", Press "Song" and "Edit"

Press Enter for "Track Edit"

Press the + Key (near the Tempo Key) to goto Zone 2

Press "insert" and turn knob 2 and +- Keys to select phrase 201

If you don't hear the correct sound, you must press "Exit" and Select "Song Mixer" and select a different sound.

If you had pressed "Start" you can hear your recorded tracks and can adjust others parameters like volume and pan hall etc.

Now press Exit , exit until you are back on top of the menu to save the song with the write button.

You will get a new version of your song, with one more track it you don't change the number of the song back.

If we can not assign a Hexlayer Sound to a Track or need a 9th track, you will be able record a phrase as a last step and play the Phrase with glowing button for this last track

Now you are able to record the full song with the audiorecorder.

The tempo is stored in the Song and must be adjusted there.

• Like 1