Video Files on Forum ×

Muse box + PX-5s problems

Hugh O Kelly

I used to be a piano tuner

It happens on the brass and the accordion programs in the muse box

So I changed the stage settings on the PX -5s thinking I must be sending out midi messages but the muse box just looses pitch

Ironically since you produced the tuning hammer you can't tune the muse box.And lots of their samples are out but the brass,bass and synth sounds I like

Did you know Scott that all tuning is out of tune.True.

Thanks Joe,

My brain was in the same place as yours

Hence I called up different programs from the casio hoping that by having a simple program like piano with not many fx on it that it would not change the pitch

perhaps I should see if I can limit midi messages from the muse box  !

I'll try that

I was rather hoping that a PS-5 x user had the same problem and could a shine a little light on the subject

MIDI normally transmits 0-127 steps for velocity sensitivity. High resolution MIDI increases that to over 32000 steps. So, for apps or sounds that respond to it, it should give you much finer and more realistic control in your playing.

In order to do this, the additional data is transmitted at CC88. This is a relatively new spec in MIDI, and some devices use CC88 for another parameter. When they do, devices that use CC88 for high resolution MIDI like the PX-5S can confuse the other device (and their users). This parameter is on be default in the PX-5S. If you're not using it and it's causing problems, simply turn it off.

Off the top of my head, the only software I know of that responds to high resolution MIDI is Pianoteq, but I think there are others I am forgetting.

• 9 years later...
On 12/23/2013 at 7:45 AM, Hugh O Kelly said:

I used to be a piano tuner

It happens on the brass and the accordion programs in the muse box

So I changed the stage settings on the PX -5s thinking I must be sending out midi messages but the muse box just looses pitch

Ironically since you produced the tuning hammer you can't tune the muse box.And lots of their samples are out but the brass,bass and synth sounds I like

Did you know Scott that all tuning is out of tune.True.

That's fascinating about your background as a piano tuner. It sounds like you're dealing with some interesting challenges on the Muse Box.