Video Files on Forum ×

Keyboard Amp / PA

PianoManChuck

So I have this large outdoor wedding gig tomorrow at a park.  My old 200-watt Samson Expedition EX30 PA just died (isn't the timing always that way when you need it most?).  Ok, so instead I'll be bringing along my 150-watt Roland KC-500 keyboard amp... not really a problem since the sound (and 15" woofer) is sooooo much better sounding than the Samson.... its just a lot heavier, a lot bigger, and there's no telescopic handle like the Samson has (and the wheels really, really, really suck on the Roland).... not sure if I'll be bringing a 2nd KC-500 along or not (will decide later tonight).  The Roland would have been my first choice, but since I'll be walking quite a distance from the car to my performance area, the lighter Samson won out on my decision (except for the fact that it died), as well as the fact that it can run on a battery (special Samson lead-acid battery that fits into the unit) in case there's a problem with the A/C.

Bottom line... while I was messing around with the problems above... it dawned on me that Casio could REALLY come out with something that blows all other keyboard amps away if they wanted to!  Since they've entered the pro keyboard market, it would just be a perfect match for them to come up with a portable keyboard amp (on wheels, with telescopic handle), lightweight, and at a price that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg for some awesome quality!  Maybe even something that could run on batteries like the PX-5s does (or like the Samson EX-30 does with their optional lead-acid battery).  Fender had the right design idea with their Passport series, but the quality just wasn't there.... a couple of other manufacturers had that idea too, but again, quality was lacking. 

Given Casio's nonstop improvements to quality with everything they've done in the pro keyboard arena so far, I'd probably opt to get a keyboard amp/PA from Casio sight unseen, just based on what they've proven to the world with their incredible PX-5s release!  Heck, the light weight and keybed alone just blew everything else away... I'd sure love to seem them do it with a keyboard amp/PA. 

Just thinking aloud (it would soooo make my year to actually see something like that at the upcoming NAMM show.... just sayin').

Bose L1 systems are ok, but way overpriced.  I used one of my Roland KC-500's at my last outdoor gig and it re-reminded me that its simply the best!  You can "feel" the sound with its 15" woofers, and its designed specifically as a keyboard amp.  I'll be using these again from now on (I have a pair of them).  I switched to the Samson EX-30's a while back because of the telescopic handle and 50 more watts (200 instead of 150), but the Roland's definitely have a quality that cannot be beat... especially since they're designed as keyboard amps.  I don't think the L1 could have handled the 200+ people at the outdoor wedding gig that I just did.... not only keyboard but I also had to MC the reception.

Both my Roland and Samson units have wheels - simply wheel it to where you want and plug in your cables - done!  Unlike the L1 which has to be "assembled" and "broken down".  But I do agree that the L1 systems are good for smaller indoor gigs (just way too pricey for my blood).

I used my classic for a week long outdoor gig last summer. 200+ people - more than enough power. The thing I like about the Bose is it sounds good in any situation, especially one with bad acoustics. I used it in a gym with notoriously horrible acoustics. Speech is normally unintelligible. Every word came through as well as the music. The system spreads the sound around a room so evenly, you have to experience it to believe it. It's like sticking your thumb over the end of a water hose and watching the water spread out. A traditional speaker is more like a straight stream.

The Bose is expensive, but I don't think it's over priced. In my case, it replaced two speakers cabinets, stands, amp, mixer, and monitors, all of which cost more than the L1. Sounds many times better, I hear what the house the house hears and I can load in with one trip. I upgraded to the Model II a year ago and it sounds even better than the classic.

I've never used the Compact, it may not be enough for an outdoor gig. For me, I've never played a dedicated keyboard amp where I liked the sound. I've thought about getting a compact for smaller gigs. But the Model II sets up quickly and with a small cart works well.

That Alto Kick sounds incredible!!!  The only thing I question is that its 400 watts of PEAK power.  I need to know the RMS power, which is a more accurate indicator of power.... I couldn't find that anywhere.  But just the same, I'll be checking into that.... sounds great!!!!!  Thanks for posting :)

I've used the KC-500,  Hartke 200 watt Keyboard amp, fender Kx-100 as well as PA systems (Mackie 808s w/crest speakers, Yorkville keyboard amps as well as PA speakers, Behringer, Alesis, etc.).  I would trade them all for my Bose L1's.  I have two of them, 90% of the time I'm using only 1.  They are without a doubt the best I have used for sound, portability, reliability and convenience.  I use them for keyboards (including my px5s of course), vocals and horns simultaneously, and they carry the load extremely efficiently.  I have used them for large halls and outdoor gigs, never had a problem getting the sound out without distortion.  You don't need monitors with them, you put one behind or to the side of you, and you hear everything clearly without feedback in most cases.  Factor that savings into the price.  I highly recommend them,  wouldn't play through anything else these days.  Good luck, whatever you choose.

• Like 1

That Alto Kick sounds incredible!!!  The only thing I question is that its 400 watts of PEAK power.  I need to know the RMS power, which is a more accurate indicator of power.... I couldn't find that anywhere.  But just the same, I'll be checking into that.... sounds great!!!!!  Thanks for posting :)

There's some more info here

http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/kick15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPKTXAe5tFo&list=PLA096BA019FBE7407

i've used a kc-550 and a combo of Behringer 315D/Peavey 118D.  I'd like to hear some QSCs, EVs, or Yamaha DSRs.  Just out of my budget.  I heard a guy playing an acoustic and singing with an L1 system.  I did not like the sound, but I don't know if he knew what he was doing... it was too loud for the venue, VERY bass-y... if he EQ'd the output a bit, it may have been fine.  You ever go to those shows where you just wanna get up on stage and tell the guy "let me set this up for you?"  

Because of the nature of the array, it is very easy to run an L1 too loud. It's louder than it seems because the sound is spread out across the array. When I first got one and was trying it out, I was playing some tracks and had some buddies with me in the room - a hall that seats around 200. It didn't seem too loud until I turned to talk to the guy next to me. I was surprised that I had to yell to be heard.

The good news is, if needed, you can get away with more volume than a conventional system. I used mine for a program for kids, kindergartners sitting in the front row. 500 kids doing a sing-a-long. I was pushing the system as loud as I could. Normally, little kids cover their ears. The kids never flinched. If I had used a conventional speaker system, the kids would've reacted for sure.

As far as the EQ, it could've been set wrong. I've heard a lot of good sound systems putting out crappy sound over the years.  :D

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Perhaps you could suggest an amp for me?  I have a PX5S on order, for home use only, but haven't a clue about an amp as I have always had keyboards with speakers.  My supplier suggests a Roland KC150 I suggested a Behringer K900/1500 FX(cheaper) he said that would be fine to.  What do you think, I want quality rather than volume?

BrianH - you'll get lots of differing opinions here.  But if its for home use only, you may want to go with a pair of studio monitors - that will give YOU the best sound.  Go to your local retailer and check out all the studio monitors you can, and decide which sounds best to you... that's all that matters.  Another possibility would be a Roland KC-110 stereo keyboard amp.  It too - like the PX-5s - can run on batteries, so if you wanted to move your rig to the backyard for a BBQ or party, you don't need to worry about AC power.  But whatever you end up getting, because its for home use only, get stereo (which means a stereo keyboard amp, or a pair of studio monitors) - that way you'll get the full range and enjoyment of what the PX-5s can do!

SonnyDaye - not a bad suggestion... but why have Casio imitate or base their design on something that already exists?  Look what they did with the PX-5s - original and brilliant!!  I would trust Casio to come up with their own original design that would blow everything else out of the water!

SonnyDaye - not a bad suggestion... but why have Casio imitate or base their design on something that already exists? Look what they did with the PX-5s - original and brilliant!! I would trust Casio to come up with their own original design that would blow everything else out of the water!

I agree. I've been buying Casio keyboards since their VERY FIRST one, many years ago. I've always known they were a unique, innovative company. I suggest the Bose L1 as a starting point since THAT is a first class quality and innovative item. I believe Casio could take the basic idea of the Bose and take it to the next level. I hope they do it....and don't forget to send me my 5%.

P.S. Instead of 5%, I'll settle for a spare PX-5S! Most innovative keyboard they've ever made!

PMChuck thanks for your suggestions, I will certainly go with the studio monitor idea.  

The PX-5S arrived this morning and I connected it to an old (very) Roland Super 60.......it was awful, I was very disappointed. So I looked around for something else to try, I disconnected my tiny pair of powered speakers from my PC and had a go with them, unbelievable difference.  I can't wait to get a decent pair of 5, 6 or 8 inch powered monitors with tweeters, but which ones?  Here where I live, Southern Brittany France, there is very few audio shops to search, but I do have access to several internet shops that have a large choice and good prices.  Over on the Korg Forum there is a similar discussion with quite a few options suggested.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=62965&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=monitor&start=0

When I saw the Bose L1 at bose in Kent UK

I suggested they should use 12  drivers rather than 24.

The manager said it must have 24

About 6 years later they made the bose S1……………12 drivers

I love the little mixer but too oo expensive and in mono

So ideally what should the perfect system be

two  Line Array columns with a bass bin which also adds a loads a-grit….good for vocals too