Video Files on Forum ×

XW Supplemental Guide

Null

I'm curious to know if anyone in this forum has considered writing an XW Companion Guide to the manuals they ship with?

I've seen a few of the regulars in this forum display some pretty amazing in depth knowledge of these synths and between the FAQ threads compiled here and given the amazing technical abilities some people seem to have with the synths I'd be willing to pay good money for a Supplemental Guide to the XW Manual if someone here were to write one.

Getting it published would be a no brainer.  Amazon offers a print on demand service as well as e-books to anyone who wants to offer a book to the public for a nominal fee per copy.  Let me tell ya, I've seen some real stinkers get published too. :P

So how about it?  Anyone out there have the technical savvy and the writing and editing skills to put something like this together?  Considering the XW-P1 has to be one of the most popular synths Casio has ever released and the fact that the manual stinks like last week's fish this has to be a great opportunity for someone to polish up their resume and get something like this published and make a few thousand (or tens of thousands) bucks on fulfilling a basic need.

Chas?  Brad?  Scott?  XW-Addict?  Come on guys...  Help all us bums out who still need training wheels to figure out the XW menus :D :D :D

Gary...

• Like 2

The trouble with keyboard manuals is, they assume that the user already has a solid grasp of the basics of the product they have just purchased, for example Yamaha assume you have a degree in digital music science !

I think they should be written in a step by step format and assume that the owner is a complete noob.

If you like, keyboards for dummies ?

Great idea there Gary, perhaps the experts on here could co-operate and make a XW Synth for Dummies available on PDF download ?

• Like 1

I use the internet and Casio's manuals to my advantage.  It served me well to learn everything I need to know about my keyboard. The manuals gave me all of the necessary information that is specific to my certain model.  Everything else I needed is general synthesizer knowledge that I found elsewhere on the internet.  The great Mike Martin also threw a few good tips out there in the hours of videos that he has made as well as his blog and tips in the forums.  I had to work to learn how to use my keyboard but eventually I did learn and feel like I accomplished something in the process.  BTW.  I also use trial and error.   :)   and I'm still learning new stuff.  

• Like 2

I've been thinking about it for quiet a while show and tell about how I did

a patch or sequence or solosynth and delving in midi related things to do. 

Well I'm not a writer my English not that good most stuff I want to know

I just search for it on the web specially youtube if I see or read something

interesting I try it out on the synth to see if its possible mostly it does.

The hardest thing would be keeping track of what I did on the synth by

repeating the process I can back track and save a step by step file of

each changes it gets messy if you not name the project properly.

That how I go at the synth for starters.

Some subject are already tackled on the forum that should provide

a decent knowledge base sometimes I look something up in the search

bar. What I can't find will be turned in a question to forum members. 

The manual lacks a bit of explanations and examples especially the last

Mike Martin did nice work showing a how to basis. Still I would know more

of the knobs and midi assignments stuff, Effect editing and doing the 

complicated stuff inside performance mode as well tone editing the PCM tones

or better yet recreating PCM by the monophonic solo synth. So many Ideas 

while I write this.

The performance mode patches are nice examples but the functions that are

available for Performance patches have a medium to master level there are so many

possibilities to do something and doing it right makes it a bit complicated never the 

less doable. 

I though the Japanese site would have P1, G1 users with patches for solo synth ,

sequence or performance patches none of that as of yet not found by me at least,

Still there are people out there not on the forum doing cool stuff I hope they find their 

way here to share their awesomus and findings