Video Files on Forum ×

tremolo to Rhodes and Wurly

dama

Fairly new PX-5S owner and I occasionally want a tremolo sound on the Rhodes and Wurly tones. I've been using the wheel to do this with a couple of stage settings I'm using. Is this the way some of you do this?

I've looked at some of the download sounds and I haven't come across any with built in tremelo. I haven't got into altering the stage settings yet. Sometimes I forget to turn the wheel back down and it effects the next sound I play.

Hello,

The px-5s is very flexible in this regard.  It's designed for you to alter the stage settings, spin all of the dials, push and pull all of the sliders, and basically change everything to your hearts content.  If you really screw up, this forum has all the resources to restore any lost settings, plus there is always the initialize command on the keyboard.  I say this so that you aren't afraid to go in there, press some buttons, and "see what happens."

So one approach is to set the tremolo on the tone itself.  Use Bank to select the stage setting you want to alter.  Then

press Edit > Tone > Effect > DSP Edit > Type[ use knob 2 or + and - to dial in Tremolo]  > set the LFO Rate and the LFO Depth .  The higher the depth, the more pronounced the effect.

Once it is set, press Exit until you are all the way out of editing.  Press Write > Stage Settings - in the upper right corner of the screen, make sure this is the correct stage setting number.  If you cursor down ( number 6 key), a little cursor will be below the first letter of the stage setting name.  You can change the name if you like using Knob 2, the + - keys, and the cursor left right keys(5 and 8).  Once satisfied, press Enter and follow the prompts.

With this approach, you might set up 2 stage settings: 1 with tremolo, and one without.  You simply switch from one to the other instead of using the mod wheel.  That way, you never touch the mod wheel and accidently leave it on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So one approach is to set the tremolo on the tone itself. Use Bank to select the stage setting you want to alter. Then

press Edit > Tone > Effect > DSP Edit > Type[ use knob 2 or + and - to dial in Tremolo] > set the LFO Rate and the LFO Depth . The higher the depth, the more pronounced the effect.

- - - -

With this approach, you might set up 2 stage settings: 1 with tremolo, and one without. You simply switch from one to the other instead of using the mod wheel. That way, you never touch the mod wheel and accidently leave it on.

For some reason, I can't figure out how to control the amount of DSP Tremolo by a Slider. I THINK I tried everything.

Try this (i assume you are using the data editor).

Select stage setting Air E. Piano 1 (1-0 unless you've moved it somewhere else). Select the Tone Z1 tab then the DSP tab. Change the algorithm to Tremolo. Note that the parameter numbers are relative to their position left to right continuing on the next row. For this exercise, we are interested in Rate (parameter 1), Depth (parameter 2), Wet Level (parameter 4) and Dry Level (parameter 5).

Now setect the Stage Setting tab, then the Common tab. Note that this stage setting already has the Slider 1 target 1 set to DSP Param 1 - leave that as it is, but target 2 is set to DSP Param 2, so set that to Unassigned. This slider is now controlling the Rate, so you will want to set the Min and Max to values that keep it under control - I find that Min 35 and Max 90 give a fairly good range.

Now move on to Slider 2. Target 1 is set to DSP Param 8 - change it to DSP Param 2. Target 2 is already Unassigned so you can leave that alone. You can also leave the Min and Max values as they are - that will give maxinum control over Depth.

Next, change Target 1 of Slider 3 to DSP Param 4. This will now be controlling the Wet Level. We're going to use this slider to control the Wet/Dry mix, so set the Min value to 42 and the Max value to 127. Now select Target 2 of this slider and set it to DSP Param 5 (the Dry Level). Set the Min/Max values the opposite to Target 1 - that is, Min 127 and Max 42.

Now you can contol the Rate with Slider 1, the Depth with Slider 2 and Wet/Dry mix with Slider 3. Plus, the original stage setting had Chorus, Delay and Reverb set on Sliders 4 through 6 and they remain. Try mixing those effects in with the Tremolo and go crazy!!

Ah, but wait - there's more! How about introducing Pedal 2 to switch between Wet and Dry? Set the pedal's target 1 to DSP Param 4 with Min Value at 0 And Max Value at 127. Set target 2 to DSP Param 5 with Min Value at 127 and Max Value at 0. Now set both the On Rate and Off Rate to a low value so that the effect will fade in and out - I find that somewhere between 10 and 15 works well. You can set the pedal to either Momentary or Toggle mode depending on your preference. You could set this up instead of, or as well as, Slider 3.

The next step is to save it with a new name to a spare slot on the PX-5S so that you don't overwrite the original.

All a bit over the top? Maybe, but it's a good way to see just how flexible the controls on the PX-5S can be.

Have fun!

Try this (i assume you are using the data editor).

Select stage setting Air E. Piano 1 (1-0 unless you've moved it somewhere else). Select the Tone Z1 tab then the DSP tab. Change the algorithm to Tremolo. Note that the parameter numbers are relative to their position left to right continuing on the next row. For this exercise, we are interested in Rate (parameter 1), Depth (parameter 2), Wet Level (parameter 4) and Dry Level (parameter 5).

Now setect the Stage Setting tab, then the Common tab. Note that this stage setting already has the Slider 1 target 1 set to DSP Param 1 - leave that as it is, but target 2 is set to DSP Param 2, so set that to Unassigned. This slider is now controlling the Rate, so you will want to set the Min and Max to values that keep it under control - I find that Min 35 and Max 90 give a fairly good range.

Now move on to Slider 2. Target 1 is set to DSP Param 8 - change it to DSP Param 2. Target 2 is already Unassigned so you can leave that alone. You can also leave the Min and Max values as they are - that will give maxinum control over Depth.

Next, change Target 1 of Slider 3 to DSP Param 4. This will now be controlling the Wet Level. We're going to use this slider to control the Wet/Dry mix, so set the Min value to 42 and the Max value to 127. Now select Target 2 of this slider and set it to DSP Param 5 (the Dry Level). Set the Min/Max values the opposite to Target 1 - that is, Min 127 and Max 42.

Now you can contol the Rate with Slider 1, the Depth with Slider 2 and Wet/Dry mix with Slider 3. Plus, the original stage setting had Chorus, Delay and Reverb set on Sliders 4 through 6 and they remain. Try mixing those effects in with the Tremolo and go crazy!!

Ah, but wait - there's more! How about introducing Pedal 2 to switch between Wet and Dry? Set the pedal's target 1 to DSP Param 4 with Min Value at 0 And Max Value at 127. Set target 2 to DSP Param 5 with Min Value at 127 and Max Value at 0. Now set both the On Rate and Off Rate to a low value so that the effect will fade in and out - I find that somewhere between 10 and 15 works well. You can set the pedal to either Momentary or Toggle mode depending on your preference. You could set this up instead of, or as well as, Slider 3.

The next step is to save it with a new name to a spare slot on the PX-5S so that you don't overwrite the original.

All a bit over the top? Maybe, but it's a good way to see just how flexible the controls on the PX-5S can be.

Have fun!

I was hoping to have just one slider set to control the Depth of the Tremolo (with the Rate and Wet/Dry left at a fixed amount). I wanted to leave the other sliders available for other (volume) assignments within the Stage Setting. But, your thorough instructions make me realize that doing it your way will give me so much more versatility that I'm going to go for it! Thanks so much!! And thanks Choppin for your input!