Video Files on Forum ×

Installed firmware v1.11-This is what happened:

SonnyDaye

Installed firmware v1.11.

Have a couple of questions:

First, relating to backing up Stage Settings using the Data Editor:

-When I selected all of the Stage Settings that are in my PX, in the right panel in the Editor, when I dragged them all to the LEFT panel, some didn't show up! Any ideas what's up with that?

-In Mike's video on installing new firmware, he says to make sure you back up all Stage Settings etc. INDIVIDUALLY, NOT as ALLDATA!

Luckily, I did BOTH!

-Per Mike's instructions, after loading the update.bin file into the PX, I INITIALIZED.

Just out of curiosity, but BEFORE I initialized, I tried out some of the Stage Settings with the firmware updated. They all seemed to be intact and in the correct locations.

Now, AFTER I initialized, all of the Stage Settings I created were gone! So, not too surprisingly, initializing brought the PX back to its original settings. So, luckily I had an ALLDATA backup which I loaded. There were all my created Stage Settings back in place. BUT, I noticed that a BUNCH of them (NOT ALL!) had the KNOBS lacking any assignment...a few had one knob with a changed assignment. I'm pretty sure all my Stage Settings had the knobs set for the default EQ settings, but not positive....I never actually checked out the knob settings (I know I never CHANGED any of them from what was there to start with). So, I'm wondering if these changes were a result of my update process.

-I'd like to know if I will run into any problems down the line if I leave everything as it now is (having loaded the ALLDATA file instead of each Stage Setting individually as instructed by Mike). THAT is my main question and concern!

-On the Casio Support site, there is no list of what was included in the update - I think it said something to the effect of "minor improvements". Anyone know what the update includes? I'm wondering if it was worth updating considering what I'm going through with the above described dilemmas.

Thanks for any help and suggestions with this.

You should be OK with reloading your ALL SAVE.  I don't know why the knob assignments would change.

The changes in Ver 1.11 were just bug corrections.  One I know of was the phrase timing was getting out of sync another was loading stage settings from usb caused some problems for some people. 

Thanks for that info, Brad!

'Preciate it!

The only concern which we should probably get verified is that an ALL file might save the tone information for the whole machine.  if that is the case and an update contains updated tones, then loading in the old version's ALL file may over write changes in the tones the update provided.   When you save stage settings individually, the tone information for the specific stage setting is saved along with it and doesn't affect the tone information in the individual tone banks - that's probably why it's a good idea to save the stage settings individually.  I would imagine ALL files should only be saved and loaded within the same firmware version. 

• Like 2

The only concern which we should probably get verified is that an ALL file might save the tone information for the whole machine.  if that is the case and an update contains updated tones, then loading in the old version's ALL file may over write changes in the tones the update provided.   When you save stage settings individually, the tone information for the specific stage setting is saved along with it and doesn't affect the tone information in the individual tone banks - that's probably why it's a good idea to save the stage settings individually.  I would imagine ALL files should only be saved and loaded within the same firmware version.

I figured the reason for Mike's suggestion was because of some issue like this. But...I took a chance and went ahead with the ALL file because saving them individually would have been too tedious and time consuming and I was short of time. Hopefully, the update didn't include updated tones.

Thanks for the explanation Choppin!

I forget where I saw this, maybe on Facebook.  Mike explained that Initialize was necessary in the first v1.10 update but not in the second v1.11 update.  The reason. he explained, was that version 1.10 contained updated stage settings and that the updates wouldn't be reflected until the initialize was performed.   It's OK to skip initialize in version 1.11. I did with no problems.   Having said that.  It doesn't hurt to initialize when you have made a backup just before updating.  It's just an extra step that was not necessary.  I made the backup as well before updating.  It's always a good idea to make backups.  

• Like 1

A simple update is all that's needed for V1.11.  The Initialize step can be skipped.

Sounds good.

But now I'm wondering if I got in the way of the update (undid anything the update was meant to do) in any way since I DID initialize after updating (BEFORE I re-installed the ALL file). It's getting pretty confusing in my head!