Video Files on Forum ×

Making Zombie Movie and Video Game - Need Advice

Hello everyone. I am finishing up filming and programming a zombie movie / video game set and need some advice on the best way to make the soundtrack. I can play piano and write my own music but I really want to add some synthesizer sounds. From what I have seen on utube the pxs5 has a lot of sounds but is there anything else I should be looking at? The distribution company has given me a pretty good size budget for the soundtrack but I would rather spend the money on voice talent for then on music equipment. Any advice you can give is appreciated. Thanks!

Phil

I recommended the G1 not the P1.  The G1 has more front panel synth control as well as a sampler and of course the step sequencer.  Between the G1 doing the beats and the PX-5S handling the hex layers and orchestral and piano sounds he'd pretty much have everything you could possibly need for a soundtrack.  Throw in a live guitarist and bassist and a few vocal effects boxes for the singers and you'd be loaded for bear. ;)

As far as soundtrack musical styles go, that pairing could handle anything from eerie and deep dramatic to comic relief or action chase scenes.

Gary

Hi Phil and welcome to the Casio Forums. Even though the PX-5S is marketed primarily as a stage piano (that is the "S) that same "S" can also mean "Studio".. with the dual hexlayers, arpeggiators and digital effects it makes for a mean soundtrack instrument. 

I have used the PX-5S myself for some science mini-films...   If you go to my website http://DulceLabs.com and click the Sound Design and Videos link you will get a pretty good idea of what the PX-5S is capable of.

If you are going for that 50's-60's style sci-fi sound, the XWs can do some pretty cool sounds - I esp. like the XW Theremin sound. B)  There is a thread here discussing the differences between the XW-G1 and XW-P1.. FWIW: I would also give a nod to the XW-G1 esp if you are getting an PX-5S as well: http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5205-xw-p1-vs-xw-g1/

If you need any help with opening titles video, sound effects and/or music cues, I do contract work in this area - just PM me. 

• Like 1

Scott,

Those videos and music were very impressive. More sci-fi then horror of course but it does give me an idea of what it possible with the px5s. If you can also do some horror stuff, I definitely  want to talk to you more about getting your help on this.  I have a lot of the music written but could really use some help with the sounds and additional orchestrations. Can you send me your email address? Look forward to hearing from you!

Regards, 

Phil

PX-5S + XW-G1 + XW-P1 = All Bases Covered.

The only real thing the P1 adds to that mix are the Hex layers and drawbar organs which are already better covered by the PX-5S.

Remember this guy is on a budget.  PX-5S plus XW-G1 already pretty much covers everything he needs and keeps it under $1500 taxed and shipped.

Gary

Scott,

Those videos and music were very impressive. More sci-fi then horror of course but it does give me an idea of what it possible with the px5s. If you can also do some horror stuff, I definitely  want to talk to you more about getting your help on this.  I have a lot of the music written but could really use some help with the sounds and additional orchestrations. Can you send me your email address? Look forward to hearing from you!

Regards, 

Phil

Thanks, Phil. My email is scott@px-5s.com  - Send me an email so I have yours and I will send you some more horrific music demos.  :) 

Looking forward to working with you!

Im doing some work on zombie film and PC game myself so im in the zone.  

As for voice acting, whip em hard and do plenty of retakes....wooden voice acting is a death knell.

Sure you are what a *cough* coincidence. . I have been reading up on everything here to get up to speed and  you seem to do a little of everything but a lot of nothing (except complain). Looks like you barely have a handle on keyboards and music yourself.  And whipping voice talent? I guess when the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer everything looks like a nail. Doesn't seem like you are too professional or even knowledgeable so thanks for the "advice" but I think I'll pass.  Not into negative people. 

To everyone else: thank you for your advice. I am probably 100% set on the px5s and looking hard at the wx-g1.

Regards,

Phil

• 1 month later...

Regarding budget and integration, I may get rocks thrown at me here, but i'd suggest that you need is a DAW (digital audio workstation) software with VST (virtual instrument) support...Reason essentials or Cubase essentials would have all that you need and would lend itself well to soundtrack making...and still give you the basis for integrating proper synths down the line.

here's the breakdown:

audio/midi interface (budget about $80 second hand)

Midi cables (budget $10)

a midi controller should be about $100 second hand or even cheaper

Since you already have a computer, it would be a matter of choosing software that seems to be the best fit.

In some situations, software may come bendled with midi keyboard (for example m-audio one) if not reason Essentials or Cubase may be picked up for about $120... or for the more daring, Reaper, a full fledged DAW with vst support is Free to try indefinitely...and costs only about $40 or so to register.

If you'd go the synth route, you'd still need to get an audio interface for it, etc etc...it adds up quick

No brickbats lodger, just bouquets. ;)

You raise a good point about if you really wanna do it on the cheap, a DAW and a controller are the way to go, however I raise exception to using a cheap controller.  I own a 4 octave M-Audio Oxygen 49 controller I use for screwing around on the laptop when I'm watching TV.  I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than try to compose anything serious on it.  Junk is junk and you get what you pay for.

A semi decent Studiologic or Akai or Roland or Korg controller will still run him between $400 and $700 for this sort of project.

BTW, this thread's been idle for several months now and I imagine the OP's project is nearing completion by now.

Gary

BTW, this thread's been idle for several months now and I imagine the OP's project is nearing completion by now.

Ah...didn't notice that. my bad. I guess my compulsion to give unsolicited advice got the better of me :) agreed re: the super cheap keyboards btw. A good compromise between budget and quality may be an Axiom 49 pro, which is what I use...not perfect, but suitable

No problem.  Consider me biased against M-Audio keyboards though.  Don't get me wrong, I also own a pair of M-Audio studio Monitors and an M-Audio MIDI interface that both work beautifully, but aside from the Oxygen controller I also own an M-Audio Venom which they sell for a MSL around $500.  You'd assume that would at least have a decent action but I have to say that M-Audio makes the absolute crappiest keyboard actions in the business.

I don't really suffer the loss with the Venom since I use my Kurzweil as a master controller and really only use the Venom as a module, but if I tried to compose anything just using an M-Audio keyboard I'd go insane in a few seconds.

Don't get me started on wobbly keys and dropped notes.  If I had to use a cheap keyboard as a controller I'd rather buy a $150 Casio than another M-Audio anyday. :)

That's just my $0.02

Gary