Video Files on Forum ×

Insert midi into stage setting?

maarkr

Haven't opened up the data editor yet, but if I create midi files to play and insert into stage settings, do I need to create a phrase from the mid file in the data editor and then insert the phrase in the stage setting?  I do quite a bit on a different computer with midi, and the PX is in another location... just want to confirm there's no quick way to insert my mid file on the USB into a stage setting?

Just looked at the DE manual and it looks simple.  Just wondered if there was a way to do it directly.  It's kindof a pain to have the PX or XW hooked up to USB to run the data editor... i understand why, but it would be nice to work on a different computer away from the instrument and save some phrases from midi on the USB stick.  Must not be much of a demand to do it.  My Casio request would be a small prog maybe on the iPad that converts mid to a phrase.

You can load phrases from a USB drive.  Use the media button on the Px-5s and select Phrase as the media type.  My px-5s is packed away right now so I can't verify if you have to load all phrases, or can just load 1 at a time.  Check out page E-32 in the basic manual.  So from the editor, you can set up a directory where you want things saved:

Preferences > Data File Folder Path

This can be your usb (folder MUSICDAT) if you want or you can save it on your computer and copy it over later.  Convert your midi file to the phrase, save it to USB one way or the other, then load it into the Px-5s.

Convert your midi file to the phrase, 

that's the trick... u must use the DE to convert the midi file to a phrase file... which can only be done AFAIK with the PX or XW hooked up to the computer USB.  

OH, just noticed the post... let me try to run the DE without the PX hooked up.

and SUCCESS!  Guess I need to go thru the whole process before I open my big mouth about something.  I could swear (did swear) that previous versions of the software would not open unless the instrument was attached via midi.

• Like 1