Video Files on Forum ×

An interesting comparison?

pax-eterna

I like that the 2 comparisons were different.  Different approaches, different equipment.  PianoMCs (PMCs) and Pax's do not sound the same.  I find that interesting and it lends itself to open up a whole other discussion.

However, I can also see PMCs comparison being placed in the same thread as a bit of a diversion from the OPs demonstration.  I don't think it was intentional by PMC, but it does detract a bit from the original presentation and comparison.

I'm no fanboy of anything, but there is something unsettling in the Ravenscroft middle registers that sounds distinctly digital to my ears. I am surprised how consistent the Casio sounds (IMO). Unless an electronic sound source is sent through the most pristine soundpath, free of phase and timing differences as well as other harmonic problems (remember USB is a digital serial interface-one bit at a time) it is almost impossible to really define the "perfect piano" in the digital world. I have found weird anomalies even in the Casio (play 2-handed unison octaves sustained if you want to hear this). Consistency in timbre/dynamic balance are the most important factors to me. The PX seems pretty consistent IMO with these. Listening carefully to chords across the octaves-most digitals seem to fail in the middle octaves-most important for comping work. And the guy (or girl nowadays) in the back giving me the one finger salute and burping through his/her 6th beer probably could care less what piano sample I'm using :P  For production work, I still haven't heard a perfect virtual piano although standards have definitely improved. There is so much going on inside a decent grand just hitting one note much less 2-fisted extended chords/arppegios with sustain. Its frightening if you look at the physical reality of trying to capture this digitally. PianoManChuck thanks for even attempting this comparison between models considering how tough this really is.

I like that the 2 comparisons were different.  Different approaches, different equipment.  PianoMCs (PMCs) and Pax's do not sound the same.  I find that interesting and it lends itself to open up a whole other discussion.

However, I can also see PMCs comparison being placed in the same thread as a bit of a diversion from the OPs demonstration.  I don't think it was intentional by PMC, but it does detract a bit from the original presentation and comparison.

Thanks Choppin. fwiw I agree.

I'm no fanboy of anything, but there is something unsettling in the Ravenscroft middle registers that sounds distinctly digital to my ears. I am surprised how consistent the Casio sounds (IMO). Unless an electronic sound source is sent through the most pristine soundpath, free of phase and timing differences as well as other harmonic problems (remember USB is a digital serial interface-one bit at a time) it is almost impossible to really define the "perfect piano" in the digital world. I have found weird anomalies even in the Casio (play 2-handed unison octaves sustained if you want to hear this). Consistency in timbre/dynamic balance are the most important factors to me. The PX seems pretty consistent IMO with these. Listening carefully to chords across the octaves-most digitals seem to fail in the middle octaves-most important for comping work. And the guy (or girl nowadays) in the back giving me the one finger salute and burping through his/her 6th beer probably could care less what piano sample I'm using :P  For production work, I still haven't heard a perfect virtual piano although standards have definitely improved. There is so much going on inside a decent grand just hitting one note much less 2-fisted extended chords/arppegios with sustain. Its frightening if you look at the physical reality of trying to capture this digitally. PianoManChuck thanks for even attempting this comparison between models considering how tough this really is.

Well tbh, it was MY comparison thread first ;)  that aside I agree and was exactly the reason for the thread. I bought the R piano on the back of web demos (no demo version) and word of mouth (from over -zealous partisan owners I now think ;) )  and when I did the straight (no chaser) comparo, I was surprised (pleasantly) by how close they really were.