Video Files on Forum ×

when installing other music sounds in the px5s using the editor

goodpedro

Hi everybody...i am buying this keybord in 2 days but i have been reading and watching everything i can on the internet since 4-5 days.  I saw some nice explanations on how to upload new sounds in the keyboards using the data editor.  It looks easy but my question is:  How much internal memory is available cause in the video tutorial you can choose a new sound to upload but you also need to tell the device wich sound the new one "will replace"......it will delete the old one.  Can't we just add new sounds without deleting others....just like adding new stuff on your computer hard drive??????

Hi and welcome to the Casio forums. You have 100 slots to store your stage settings and  the PX-5S comes loaded with 100 presets,  so yes you need to pick one to overwrite each time you load one in. I suggest going thru all the presets and making a list of the ones your want to keep on the board. You can always load the originals back in.

• Like 1

Thanks Scott.  What if i make a mistake (i deleted an original preset i wanted to keep).  If i want the original one back...can i get only this one back or i have to upload 'all' the original presets and then erasing some new ones i just made and want to keep.  It's all or nothing?   Thanks in advance.

This is the way I manage it:

Connect your pc to the keyboard and load the data editor on your pc.

Set up a folder called defaultStageSettings (or whatever) on your pc.

choose that folder as your data folder in the preferences section in the data editor.

You have to have one folder selected in the preferences as the place where the program looks for stage settings, phrases, melody tones and whatever else.

Then transfer all the default stage settings from the board into that folder.

Now you have all the default stage settings saved on your pc so you don't have to worry saving over one (they're available in the download section anyway).

There is a spreadsheet in the download section too that lists the default stage setting number default locations.

So if you save over one and want it back, you can always look at the spreadsheet and figure out which one to load back in.

I save that spreadsheet in the defaultSettings folder too.

I then have different folders on my pc for my own stage settings, one for the stage setttings users have uploaded here and one for official casio stage setting downloads.

Each time I want to try a stage setting out, depending on what it is, I go into preferences and chose which ever folder it is located in as the default data folder.

Then I load a stage setting onto the board, play with it, load another, maybe I don't like it so I load another over it etc etc.

You can also create packages which will load 100 stage settings at once.

So you can have one package with all the default setttings and another with 100 downloaded stage settings or another with ones you created.

• Like 1

goodpedro,

You mention saving sounds, there's a difference between the "sounds" or tones as they are called for the PX-5s and the 100 stage settings.  A stage setting can be a group of tones and/or has all of the control settings you may want to set up to influence that or those tones.  You have a blank canvas for storing your own tones (sounds that you create).  To clarify, a tone might be called a patch - like a trumpet, or a guitar, or some kind of synth, or a marimba - a tone is the actual sound that plays.

There are 560 tones, 320 are presets, and there are 220 user tones.   Those user tones include melody tones (tones that basically have 1 sound source), hex layers (which have six sound sources), and drums.

One concept that it seems hard for new users to get their heads around is stage settings vs tones.  Everything is played through the stage setting, but stage settings are made up of tones.  Tones can be saved independently of stage settings or with stage settings. 

I won't go too much deeper here because it may get confusing.  The short answer - there's lots of space to save your own stuff - but you do have to replace stage settings - you don't necessarily have to replace existing tones unless you create more than 220 unique tones on top of replacing the 400 possible tone assignments for the 100 stage settings.

thanks choppin.  Lets say i have a software with incredible (tones) strings and i want to upload them in the casio....will the keyboard treat them as stage settings or tones that i can put on top on those already in memory? I think they will be regarded as stage settings???Thanks again.

thanks choppin.  Lets say i have a software with incredible (tones) strings and i want to upload them in the casio....will the keyboard treat them as stage settings or tones that i can put on top on those already in memory? I think they will be regarded as stage settings???Thanks again.

You can not load new sounds into the PX-5S. The stage settings are basically combinations of all the sounds and effects that are already in the PX-5S ROM. You can mix and match those a million different way and load in custom stage settings from the download area, but loading NEW SOUND SAMPLES from another source are not an option, If you have a software synth you can only play those sounds from the PX-5S via MIDI, they will not load into the PX-5S.