Video Files on Forum ×

stage setting and tones

piattica

When you save a stage setting, it's saves the tone for you, you don't have to have it saved independently. 

You may notice in the default stage settings, many of the tones they are comprised of in all the different zones are not saved. You can't access them via the tone banks unless you save them yourself as tones. 

Take the tone on zone1 in stage setting 5:1 for example. Mike Martin (probably) created a very nice electric piano type tone using the hex layers but it doesn't feature in the hex layers tone bank.

When he created the tone, he just saved the stage setting and that saved the tone he had created along with it. In order to use that tone in another stage setting, you would need to save it as tone (hex layer) first yourself.

The same thing happens with arpeggios. Many of the default stage settings use arpeggios which were never saved as independent arpeggios in the arpeggio bank. Mike created the arpeggio specifically for a stage setting he had in mind and just saved the stage setting. The arpeggio was saved along with it so you don't need anything else. To use the arpeggio in a different stage setting, you select the stage setting, go into the arpeggio section and save it as a user arpeggio. Then you can use it anywhere.

The benefit of this system makes it very easy for us users to swap stage setting with each other. We don't need to upload tones and arps and tell people to put them in certain positions, we just upload the one stage setting and violá! Then if you just want to pick out an arp or tone from a stage setting, you can.

I'm a total novice with professional keyboards but I think I remember Mike or someone saying this is a very novel approach compared to other keyboards.

• Like 2

I absolutely love this feature of the PX-5s.  I hope on future Casio workstations like the WK series, they incorporate this idea into pattern sequences and perhaps even song sequences.  And if the incredible drum set editing of the PX-5s would go to the new WK's and those edits store within a pattern sequence it would be even more awesome.  I often find myself using custom user tones in my pattern sequences.  The problem exists there of needing to track down the tone I used in that pattern. 

• Like 1