Video Files on Forum ×

programming sliders of the mixer for volume channel 5 - 16

Keyboard-Klaus

The PX-5s was not designed to do this.  

You can use the song sequencer to set 8 select channel volumes.  Edit the song mixer and store the song.  Everytime the song is recalled, the volumes are.  

Yes sadly it is programmed this way Brad. For something that is touted as being okay (not the best mind you) as a midi controller there are some "gotchas" with it. To me, the ability to set control sliders for ANY midi channel is a basic function of midi control. As is the continuous control pedal (but that has been done to death already. I only include it here for context).

Though the following doesn't describe how to use the levers and dials to control channels 5-16, it uses a similar approach as described by BradMZ but instead uses a midi file that can be set however you need and loaded and played to set the mixer settings:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5796-help-integrating-korg-kronos-and-casio-px-5s/

Question, isn't the Vestax Pad One a drum machine?  Why do you have to control multiple channels?  You can send lever and knob information out from the Px-5s.  For example, you could have zone 1 send midi out information to channel 10 and send volume control messages using a lever or a dial.

Though the following doesn't describe how to use the levers and dials to control channels 5-16, it uses a similar approach as described by BradMZ but instead uses a midi file that can be set however you need and loaded and played to set the mixer settings:

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/5796-help-integrating-korg-kronos-and-casio-px-5s/

Question, isn't the Vestax Pad One a drum machine?  Why do you have to control multiple channels?  You can send lever and knob information out from the Px-5s.  For example, you could have zone 1 send midi out information to channel 10 and send volume control messages using a lever or a dial.

But you must admit that it is a bit disappointing to have to figure messy workarounds for what are basic midi operations? Even if they do work. And then a new midi file for each time you want to adjust the settings again for a new song. It works, but so messy.

As a stage piano and 4 zone midi controller, channels 5-16 are not typically used by the PX-5s itself and are only there for midi purposes.  

If you are using those channels, it's done from another midi source like a sequencer or another controller board.  Those sources should have the ability to control channel volume.   I would double check the Pad One for it's ability to control channel volume.  

The PX-5s is acting as a sound module for the Vestax.  If you want full control over a mixer channel using the PX-5s sliders, then you should share a PX-5s zone with the Vestax.  

The PX-5s is an incredibly flexible 4 zone midi controller, stage piano and synthesizer.  Using this or any other instrument for more than its intended purpose is going to get messy.  

• Like 1

Brad, if the PX-5s is being used as a sound module, couldn't the midi in and out be set to the Vestax, then on zones 1-4 set the midi out to a channel in the range of 5-16 and set a fader or dial to control volume on that channel?  If channel 5 on the Vestax receives the volume change, wouldn't it then transmit the new volume to channel 5 on the Px?

Brad, if the PX-5s is being used as a sound module, couldn't the midi in and out be set to the Vestax, then on zones 1-4 set the midi out to a channel in the range of 5-16 and set a fader or dial to control volume on that channel?  If channel 5 on the Vestax receives the volume change, wouldn't it then transmit the new volume to channel 5 on the Px?

^^  This. I had a look at the PC editor, and there is the option to set an "out" midi channel via the drop down box. Now assuming this is as per standard midi spec, then Choppins suggestion (to the O.P.) should work nicely. tbh I had not really noticed that section in the editor before, seen it, but not noticed it as I had no need to control external devices. Mind you, it still only allows it on four channels max, but at least it gives (with the PX four) another 4 channels to use.

Taking a quick look at the Vestax user guide, it seems you can set the XY pad to a controller (CC) of your choice.  If you set it to 7 or 11 for either of the axes, you should be able to control volume of an external device/channel.

There is also an after touch setting for the pads that allows you to assign a CC.  You could also set a volume here (CC 7 for volume CC 11 for expression).

• Like 1

hmmm, that might be tough to find.  One thing you could try, if you have a lot of time, is to plug the pad into the computer, use a midi monitoring program, and go through every pad, switch, and button and combinations of them, see what the results are.  The user guide should give you a basic idea and a starting point.

• 8 months later...

Now I have solved the Problem: I will buy a Arturia Beatstep. it has enough Controllers....

Thank you for your replies.

I got the ARTURIA  BeatstepPro but when I use DRUMS with the PX 5S the voulmen is at a higher level  than the music the PRIVIA produces, I haven´t found a way to balance the volumen, Can you help me with it.? I want to control the volumen for each sequencer and the Drums.