Video Files on Forum ×

MIDI velocity issue

SpaceGandalf

Hey cool cats, I picked up a 5S two weeks ago now, and I'm very satisfied with it, except for one lingering issue: the 5S isn't sending any MIDI velocities above the 105-107 range.

I've tried to troubleshoot it myself up until now with no results, so any help would be appreciated!

I've got my 5S hooked up to my PC via USB, but have also tried MIDI cable running through an audio interface, with the same problem.

I've got the touch setting on "Light", but myself and a piano-playing friend can't get my 5S to send any MIDI velocity higher than 107.

This is a bummer to me because I feel like I've instantly lost 20% of my dynamic range.

I've turned off High Res MIDI, set touch to "light" and have tested my 5S in numerous programs including MIDI-OX and pianoteq.

Seems to me like the sensors might have been registered/calibrated improperly at the factory?

My 5S is running the latest 1.13 update. Let me know if you need more info from me, and thanks anyone and everyone for your input.

• Like 1

Here is how you test this internally.  Turn off all zones but one.  For the remaining "on" zone" use something like the first preset piano tone. Next press edit>stage setting>zone>mixer edit>velocity range low>set this to a high velocity like 110 or so.   Also double check velocity limit high is at 127.  

Now this piano won't sound until it reaches 110 or above.  Try playing with a "fast" strike.   Velocity is about speed rather than force.  If you can get it to respond, try moving the low limit up until you can't get sound anymore.   This will tell you what the PX-5s is doing internally.  

• 2 months later...

OK I appear to be having the same problem?  I have an M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 and my brand-new PX-5S on a dual keyboard stand, both connected to my computer via USB, using Sonar Artist and Kontakt Native Instruments 10.  So I have both keyboards playing "The Grandeur" at the same time.  the M-Audio can produce velocities from 0-127 as it has a built in velocity curve configuration function.  I can't seem to find this in the PX-5S.  Everything sounds super super soft when controlled from the PX-5S.  I bought the PX-5S specifically because I like the action - I just want to use it as a piano controller.

I tried what you said above about setting the velocity range low to 110 - striking the keys as fast as I can I can barely produce anything.  The Grandeur shows the input velocity as well - the same strike speed produces far lower values with the PX-5S compared to the Keystation... what am I doing wrong here?  First I unbox it to find it complaining about "No Media" (fixed by installing 1.13 firmware) and now this?  I really don't want to lug this thing all the way back to the store.  I've tried resetting to factory defaults, etc... what do I need to do to get this thing to output full velocity via MIDI (over USB) ?  Thanks in advance.

You have system touch curve on light already?

Try the internal velocity test method I outlined above with a "velocity range low" of 126. You should still be able to trigger the internal concert grand sound. It does take a very fast key strike to reach that velocity. It hurts my fingertip to play that hard and fast but it is possible. This is a testament to Casio engineering. The PX-5s has a very wide dynamic range and is very expressive as a result.

• Like 1

You have system touch curve on light already?

Try the internal velocity test method I outlined above with a "velocity range low" of 126. You should still be able to trigger the internal concert grand sound. It does take a very fast key strike to reach that velocity. It hurts my fingertip to play that hard and fast but it is possible. This is a testament to Casio engineering. The PX-5s has a very wide dynamic range and is very expressive as a result.

One have to train like Ruddes to reach that level of key press consistency  :D ...........

:angry: I'll use laser focus until that day comes reaching it I'll train like   :ph34r: mastering this  B) keyboard wizzardy