Video Files on Forum ×

PX-5S Editor needs updating...opinions welcome

pax-eterna

Hi Luigi For me the operations are okay, just sloooowwwww. For example press write on the PX itself and the data is stored almost immediately. However when using the editor it takes far longer (relatively). Same goes for loading data into the editor, it takes "forever" to get a Stage Setting loaded into the editor. I suspect this has to do with the software only utilising USB 1.1 speeds, but not being a programmer I could not say this for sure. Or maybe it is jsut the way the app code is written??

One handy thing would be the ability to do a "snapshot" save of all the PX settings and data on your PC, via the editor.

Overall though it seems to cover most operations one would need. What thoughts do you have on improvements?

Dennis

Well, actually I don't like the user interface. I have to scroll the windows to access all the controls which is unnecessary because the amount of parameters to change can fit well in the main window. Also some speed-up buttons to easily create spli/layes or to copy/paste programs. Finally I'm unable to find how to modify waveforms in tones. Probably waveforms are accessible somewhere in the editor, but I cannot find it. I've puchased the piano few days ago and I haven't used the editor very much, so I'm interested in having opinions from other users. As for the USB port it may be that the 1.1 speed is due to PX limitations, not to the editor: maybe the Casio USB port is a 1.1 USB port....

Luigi

Finally I'm unable to find how to modify waveforms in tones. Probably waveforms are accessible somewhere in the editor, but I cannot find it.

I'm pretty sure you can only do very limited editing on "tones", as they are meant to be played pretty much as-is. You can, however, edit the "wave" sounds used in hexlayers, and most, if not all tones have a corresponding wave.

• Like 1

Hello,

looking through the midi spec and observing how th editor works, it seems that all of the transfers are complete sysex dumps to and from the editor.  That's why you can see all of the tones, all of the stage settings, and all of the parameters at once.  Because there seems to be an entire dump at once, there is porbably a couple of layers in the editor that just store blocks of memory - so you have "undo" capabilities.  It also seems to be built using QT - so it may be slow just because of the size of the graphics library being used.  My thought though is the slowness comes from the huge memory transfers back and forth between the instrument.  MIDI has a finite maximum speed of around 32000 baud.  I don't believe that would change no matter how much the editor changed.  

So improvement on speed may come from how much data is transferred back and forth.  The less data at once, the moe perceived speed.

...............Well, actually I don't like the user interface. I have to scroll the windows to access all the controls which is unnecessary because the amount of parameters to change can fit well in the main window. Also some speed-up buttons to easily create spli/layes or to copy/paste programs........... 

Luigi

Yeah now that you mention it, that too is something I find a bit annoying. Not sure how you fix it though...Maybe Casio will release an updated editor at Namm with the PX-6S :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A newbee comment... hopefully not too silly

Just had a quick look at the editor. Haven't tried using it yet...

1. Having nobs and sliders viewed in the editor as you see them on the px-5s.

2. Having curser 'hover' explanations & things to try over each function. This would help newbees like me get into it.

• 3 weeks later...

After some very "fast" investigation it seems to me that the slowness is due to the protocol. Actually the PX-5S does not send a single packet of bulk data, but a huge amount of packets and some handshaking is needed so possibly the Casio send a packet, the PC receive dat packet and confirm to the Casio the reception so that the Casio can send another packet. This happens for hundred of time per tone, so probaly the slowness is due to this protocol.

So, to me the slowness is not due to the Qt (which is however slow ***and ugly***) but to the complicated protocol, which, however, has the advantage to be quite solid.

It is not trivial to make another editor unless more information regarding the protocol are provided. I will try to ask Casio if it is possible to have more details regarding this.

Luigi