Video Files on Forum ×

Scared by PX5: (re)-updated without warning

elecmuse3

I turned on my PX5S last week, just like many times before, but this time it starts updating itself from the USB drive in the top slot!! I'd already put in version 1.13 almost as soon as it come out, and keep a flash drive in constantly because of a previous problem when the PX tried to update itself without any drive in place. It isn't often connected to a computer; I usually tweak whatever presets I need to adjust on the unit itself. 

It's been quite stable and usable; why would now it do this?

Some of the conditions: on its regular original power supply, which is plugged into a surge-protector strip, into a standard US supply. The softside case I've been using broke a zipper, so for ~ 1 month I've been using an older case that perhaps is not quite as soft inside. The power supply is permanently mounted in a wood-framed portable 3-keyboard stand, and is not subject to cord mangling or folding/unfolding. 

All thoughts welcome.

This usually takes the form of an "error no media" message.  The error message translates to "Hey!... my firmware is funky and I need to reinstall it.  I don't see a thumb drive plugged in with a copy of my firmware.  I cannot continue until you do so!."  In your case, the thumb drive was already there, so the keyboard was able to auto recover without a snag.  If you are concerned, I would look into having it checked out. 

The Px-5s is designed to attempt to upload the firmware if a copy of the binary update file is found on the thumbdrive.  Any flashdirve that is always plugged into the px-5s should NOT have the update firmware software on it or the px-5s may try to install that software and effectively wipe out any saved files on the thumb drive itself.  This behavior is documented briefly in the 1.10 upgrade procedures on page 2 under the [important] heading:

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/support/download_files/en/008/manuals/Web_PX5S-110-E-1A.pdf

To restate...I am almost certain this was an "error, no media" situation.  That is a firmware/memory error.  The PX-5s would have been stuck until the firmware was reinstalled. Having the thumb drive plugged in, with firmware, is the only way to recover the keyboard.  I recommend everyone keep a thumb drive with firmware plugged in.  It will not cause any harm.  

The Px-5s is designed to attempt to upload the firmware if a copy of the binary update file is found on the thumbdrive.  Any flashdirve that is always plugged into the px-5s should NOT have the update firmware software on it or the px-5s may try to install that software and effectively wipe out any saved files on the thumb drive itself.  This behavior is documented briefly in the 1.10 upgrade procedures on page 2 under the [important] heading:

http://support.casio.com/storage/en/support/download_files/en/008/manuals/Web_PX5S-110-E-1A.pdf

This is not accurate. It will only attempt to access the update file if you initiate it via the menu or, as Brad suggested, there is an error of some kind. Either way, the update process will NOT effect any other files on the flashdrive. 

• Like 1

Thank you.  If you follow the thread to where it refers to the [important] section of the update, that supports the auto-install and it reflects on what you were saying that if something is wrong with the update, or an error.  Perhaps my wording wasn't understandable.  As far as the files being wiped, it has happened to me several times with the update.  That's why I will only use a dedicated drive for the update and one for files.  In my experience, the previous updates (I had dedicated drives by the time 1.13 was available) always create a new MUSICDAT folder at the end of the update.  This would blank out my files stored in the previous MUSICDAT folder.  I'd be quite surprised if no one has experienced that.   If forum members flash drives have failed or files have been lost, it's likely been looked at as faulty drives or chalked up to user error and never tied back to the updates.

I see; you are talking about wave files in the MUSICDAT files.  When you said "any" files, mean it would format the thumbdrive???  I guess I need to check this out. I seem to remember updating my firmware with the USB I had music files in the folder and I don't think they got zapped.  

As an aside:

Just as a "best practices" suggestion: One should transfer wave files to a computer at the end of a recording session and rename them to "friendly" names for easy reference AND to give them a time/date stamp. Unless you keep a hard copy log of what all the "TAKE"s reference, it is almost impossible to keep track of what is on each file.  I wouldn't keep anything on a flashdrive that you aren't prepared to lose due to drive failure or losing the drive itself.

Your data is not safe unless it's in three separate locations. Important work should get copied to an external hard drive, the cloud (dropbox,et al) and to optical media (DVD). Optical media are to be kept offsite. 

I will look into the flashdrive thing.