Video Files on Forum ×

midi problem

Rocknrolldentist

Hi--I have my casio hooked up to a hammond sk-1 via midi.  I play the sounds of the hammond on my casio occasionally (not the organ sounds but the extra voices). I switch back and forth with an AB box to allow me to switch instruments in real time. Anyway,  I had the casio playing the flute from the hammond, and when I hit many of the casio keys (a little hard) they wouldn't sound at all.  This never happened before during practice, when I played through the headphones.  Is there a reason for this? Is there something wrong with my casio?  Please advise.  Thanks.   Glenn

A few questions-do you have both midi din connections, cables-in/out or just the midi out cable to the SK-1? And which sounds are not playing-the local sounds from the PX or is it failing to access the SK-1 sounds through midi, or both local and the SK-1 if you are layering?

If you have both midi in and out cables connected-my guess-is that there is too much midi data looping back from the PX5 to SK-1 and back to PX5, it might be causing this-midi din connections are serial protocols and can't always handle large amounts of data if it is looping back, especially since i believe the PX5s sends out additional "high resolution" midi data for dynamics (playing keys hard could be contributing to this-again just my guess).

Of course if you only have one din cable-out from PX5s to in of of SK-1 none of this is relevant, this should not be happening at all and could be a PX5s software/hardware malfunction.

If you are failing to play the SK-1 sounds remotely through the PX5s midi out intermittently-try turning off "high resolution" setting in the PX5s. The extra midi data from the PX5s could be causing a "buffer overflow" to the SK-1 which might prevent the PX5s from playing the SK-1, if this is what is happening.

I have worked on the internal key mechanism of my PX-350 which is pretty much identical to the PX5s and is pretty sturdy-I do not think a mechanical failure is all that likely given what I have seen inside, unless you have consistently played yer PX5s with sledgehammers! :P Post back if you get this solved. Happy holidays. :)

Hello Jokeyman123--  To clarify, I am using one midi cable from my casio out to the sk-1 in.  I am completely able to play the local sounds of the privia. This only happened with the flute from the sk-1 played by the privia.  And as previously stated, it never happened in practice through my headphones, only in rehearsal when I played semi hard.  I havent tried it with other sk-1 voices, but I can.  Any other ideas????   Glenn

What are you using for an A B box? Is this for audio or midi? This may have something to do with this. Again just an educated guess.Perhaps there is physical vibration somewhere affecting a connection. Sometimes the slightest intermittent connection anywhere could be causing this. Playing through headphones-no external vibration. Sound system could be causing even a slight harmonic vibration in a shaky connector. Check all physical connectors.

Hello again....I just tried the same setup at home--through headphones, with the sk-1 set up to max volume--I played the privia pretty hard but got no cutting out?? Im puzzled? This anomoly happened at  different location through speakers, with a diffeent midi cable. Is there anything here that could have caused the problem?  Thanks and merry christmas!   Glenn