Photo

PX-5S: Features you're glad ARE included. Features you wish WERE included.

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 ultra.klick

ultra.klick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:43 AM

So i have to wait for the PX-6-XL - THE biggest Synthesizer in world

"Mike´s CLINIC - Live" :  Don´t ignore ! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                   
There is a doctor who examines the diseases and disorders of casio products .

#102 ultra.klick

ultra.klick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:16 AM

I think "PRIVIA PX-5s" is the perfect name for this design .
The name sounds very smooth . Reminds you on "privilege" .
If this became a fully editable Synthesizer , also the biggest in world , in future , this is also the perfect name , i think .
Because of this : It should be an privilege to own this beautiful white-blue designsynthies .   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                                   

#103 ultra.klick

ultra.klick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

I'd have to agree here, because when comparing the fidelity of the sounds in the PX-5S to say my Kurzweil PC3LE6 which is in a similar price range here in Australia ($2,000 retail) the Casio sounds seem to be sampled at a much lower bit rate and don't sound as clean and crisp.

Now, while some people may be really disappointed with this, I tend to see the PX-5S keyboard as the ultimate excersise in compromise by the Casio engineers. I mean we have so many features packaged into a board featuring 88 superbly weighted keys with crazy polyphony limits, making it an amazing gigging instrument. Forget lugging a Hammond & Leslie to gigs, for some of us older folk, even lugging a Kurzweil or Roland is too much ;)

What I'd really like to see is the ability to turn off polyphony so when you play solo instruments like woodwinds and some retro synth sounds the phrasing is more authentic. For example, think of playing the synth solo in the classic 'Nutbush City Limits'

Finally I want to add that this is one rare moment where I have not experienced buyers remorse and I've owned a lot of boards in the last 35 years.

In Germany the Kurzweil costs less than 1200 AUD and the P(hantastic)X-5s more than 1500 AUD .

This is because the Kurzweil have three soundengines instead of one . You know: You have VA and physical moddelling .

Not only Therefore it weighs up to 14kg .

..and (dirty trick!) is not expandable with V.A.-S.T.machine  KOREa64.

So , The Kurzweil is unfortunately cheaper

#104 AS77

AS77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

Hello! I'm new PX5s owner, great machine!

I'd like to play synth lead in real mono mode.

#105 PianoManChuck

PianoManChuck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Hmmm.... looks like more and more requests for mono mode are coming in....

So far, two "must have" things that a new(er) model should have:

- some sort of MONO mode

- an expression pedal input

#106 Scott Hamlin

Scott Hamlin

MEMBER SUPPORT

• Administrators
  • 934 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Hello! I'm new PX5s owner, great machine!

I'd like to play synth lead in real mono mode.

Hi and welcome to the forums. While the PX-5S is capable of creating some really fat sounding lead sounds, it will always be in polyphonic mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casio PX-5S Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s
Casio XW Series Facebook Group: https://facebook.com...Casio.XW.Synths

#107 jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

Lest it be forgotten, I wanted to put in my quarterly plug for the next ugrade, if there is one, to add the ability for the PX-5S to send MIDI messages for cc values 100 or greater.  A few of the controls on my Nord Electro 4 require this.  Thanks and happy holidays!

#108 AS77

AS77

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums. While the PX-5S is capable of creating some really fat sounding lead sounds, it will always be in polyphonic mode.

Thanks!

Is it possible to add this feature (mono mode) by upgrading?

#109 ultra.klick

ultra.klick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

Lest it be forgotten, I wanted to put in my quarterly plug for the next ugrade, if there is one, to add the ability for the PX-5S to send MIDI messages for cc values 100 or greater.  A few of the controls on my Nord Electro 4 require this.  Thanks and happy holidays!

Don´t wait :

Get an Behringer BCR2000 - and you´re able to control all your Nord parameters incl. SysEx .. 

Much more comfortable than via Casio!

Boy ,

#110 Scott Hamlin

Scott Hamlin

MEMBER SUPPORT

• Administrators
  • 934 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thanks!

Is it possible to add this feature (mono mode) by upgrading?

I don't speak for Casio, but I would not expect that to be something included in an update.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casio PX-5S Facebook Group: https://facebook.com/groups/Casio.Px5s
Casio XW Series Facebook Group: https://facebook.com...Casio.XW.Synths

#111 jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

ultra.klick, thanks for the tip on the Behringer but it's not what I'm looking for.  I need control for live playing.  I use the PX-5S and its weighted keys to drive the pianos on the NE4 (I have the SW for organ use) and it would be nice to have all the Nord effects controllable from the PX-5S.  I mapped the ones I could to a Stage Setting I posted just after the PX-5S came out.  Seems like twenty years ago but it's only been about eight months. Scott, Mike, any chance this is going to happen or should I just give up?

#112 jaspeter

jaspeter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Mexico

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Another wish for a new feature that would very likely be easy to implement:

I'd like the Start/Stop functions (for phrase, arpeggio, song) to not be toggles.  That's already a function in the pedal list (momentary vs. toggle).  When selected for a pedal, the momentary function of the pedal turns into a toggle.  The toggle function of the pedal becomes some funky double-toggle thing.  It might be nice to only have the phrase play while holding the pedal down.

Maybe not so easy to implement, it would be nice to be able to assign controllers to trigger note events.  You know, like if someone wanted to turn their pedals into kick drums or hi-hats or something.  ;-)

While we're at it, maybe we could add a "tap-tempo" function to the pedal, too.  I LOVE that the PX-5S has this function already.  It would just be nice if I could assign it to a pedal.

#113 jaspeter

jaspeter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationSouthern New Mexico

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:02 PM

I know that the PX-5S isn't designed to be a mixer, but...  if it had a balance control for the line-ins, that would be really awesome!  I'm finding it extremely useful to use it as a volume controller for other acoustic instruments as well.  I can also assign a "solo boost" function to a pedal which really helps!

Now if the line-ins came in before the effects, that would be something else!  Like another one- or two-thousand US dollars else!

#114 happyrat1

happyrat1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 821 posts
  • LocationGTA, Canada

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

Something to ponder while Casio designs their next great breakout machine.  Howabout a built in Ribbon Controller?

I just ordered one for my Kurzweil and from what I can see on Youtube they are the Bee's Knees! :)

Wouldn't cost all that much extra to implement either. ;)

Gary

• October Rust likes this
If it ain't fun it ain't music...

Listen to my tunes @ https://soundcloud.c...ary-g-s-singles

Keep on banging those keyboards :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users