Video Files on Forum ×

Help choosing a digital piano

philby

Hi there.

Not only am I new to this forum but I also don't play piano :)

My 8 year daughter has been learning to play on a hand me down keyboard which she has now outgrown.

I want to buy her a reasonable electric piano or keyboard but with her being 8 and all, I don't want to spend a fortune on something that may well end up gathering dust in 12 months time.

Her teacher has recommended looking for 88 "weighted" keys (I now understand there is "weighted" and there is "weighted").

I would like something that can be used as a Midi controller for my DAW, so either MIDI or (preferably) usb is a must.

Whilst keyboard action/feel and basic sound quality are my main concerns anything that keeps her interested at her age is a bonus. So being able to play different sounds, additional learning tools etc would be a bonus rather than essential.

My budget is around AU$600-700.

I've done plenty of research and have narrowed my options down based on price, value and availability to a couple of Casio's but can't decide between the 2.

These are the CDP-220/230 and the PX-150, both of which I can pickup for a little over AU$600.

The main differences I can see are that the PX-150 has greater polyphony 128 rather than 48 (will this matter to a beginner/intermediate player?).

The sound engine is different, although the CDP gets good reviews soundwise.

What I can see I am getting with the CDP over the PX is the additional sounds (700), lesson features, sampling (of little use I imagine but fun for an 8 year old!).

I would really appreciate any thoughts from folk more experienced than me that might help me decide between the 2. 

Many thanks in anticipation, please keep your answers non technical so that a simple guitarist can understand :lol:

I think if your daughter wants to have a little fun with her playing the CDP-230 is the better deal.

If she is seriously considering becoming a pianist as her career, however, I think the PX-150 has the better quality keyboard.

I'd suggest bringing her piano teacher along when you make your choice and get her opinion on the two units.  Paying her for an hour of her time is likely a better investment than blindly choosing one or the other based on third person reviews.

Speaking of which, here's a couple of pretty thorough reviews to help you decide.

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2014/08/Casio-CDP230R-Review-digital-piano-portable-Costco-low-price-privia-under-500-beginner-keyboard-.html

http://azpianonews.blogspot.ca/2012/07/review-casio-px350-px150-privia-digital.html

Sorry I can't be more help, but you are asking us to make a very personal decision for you that can only be made by hands on experience with both models in question.

Gary ;)

• Like 1

BTW, just a thought, but if you truly think your daughter shows promise as a piano player you might want to shell out a few extra bucks and get her the PX-350.

That one should hold her for the next ten years at least without needing anymore upgrades.

Believe me, sometimes it's better to spend a few dollars more to get the one you REALLY want than try and sell off a starter keyboard when it comes time to upgrade.

The PX-350 should also hold its resale value better should she end up dropping music altogether.

Gary ;)

Hi Gary,

Thanks very much for your responses, and for the links which are great, in depth reviews. They also helped me dispel the Korg SP170S as the reviewer didn't seem too impressed.

Not sure I want to commit any more cash at this stage so the PX 350 is probably just out of reach, I agree with your comment though, I've lost count of the number of cheap guitars/amps/pedals I've wasted money on in the past only to replace them a year later.

I have managed to find a local shop which has both pianos in stock so I'm going to take my daughter along next weekend and let her decide. There's next to nothing in terms of price difference.

I note your comment about keyboard quality and think the PX 150 would be the better investment. We can always hook it up to Garageband and let her play the synths in there when she wants a little light relief  :)

Once again thanks very much, I appreciate your time.

Phil.

• Like 2

Your daughter is a very lucky child.  When I was her age and wanted to learn piano I was offered an accordion or one of those nasty little chord organs.  I chose neither :D  I waited til I turned 18 and bought myself a Yamaha Silver Plated Flute for my birthday.  I couldn't afford a REAL synthesizer until I was well into my second childhood in my mid thirties. :D :D :D

I think the PX-150 is the better choice anyway.  Your girl might prefer the CDP cause of all the nifty voices, but as you said, you can always hook up the PX-150 to a computer and use it to control soft synths or perhaps later on you'll shell out for a decent used rack module and have the best of all worlds. ;)

Rock on!

Gary ;)

BTW, if you end up buying the PX-150 and she's a good little girl before xmas you could always spend another $100 and buy her a Zoom RT223 Drum Machine to play along with.  Let's face it, the "Tick-Tick-Tick" of the metronome can drive you buggy after a while and it's nice to take a break with a smooth Bossa Nova or R&B beat ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-RT223-Rhythm-Trak-Machine/dp/B000P3WE60

If you shop around on craigslist I'm sure you could find one for well under $100 AUD. ;)

Cheers!

Gary ;)

• 8 years later...
On 11/3/2015 at 1:06 AM, Null said:

Your daughter is a very lucky child.  When I was her age and wanted to learn piano I was offered an accordion or one of those nasty little chord organs.  I chose neither :D  I waited til I turned 18 and bought myself a Yamaha Silver Plated Flute for my birthday.  I couldn't afford a REAL synthesizer until I was well into my second childhood in my mid thirties. :D :D :D

I think the PX-150 is the better choice anyway.  Your girl might prefer the CDP cause of all the nifty voices, but as you said, you can always hook up the PX-150 to a computer and use it to control soft synths or perhaps later on you'll shell out for a decent used rack module and have the best of all worlds. ;)

Rock on!

Gary ;)

Haha, it sounds like you've had quite the journey in your musical pursuits! It's wonderful that you eventually found your way to the instruments that resonated with you. Your daughter is indeed fortunate to have such thoughtful considerations in her musical journey. Who knows, maybe she'll inherit your love for synthesizers down the road!

Just to let you know, Null (Gary) hasn’t posted here since 2016 and this thread is more than 8 years old. I don’t know if he even still reads the Casio Music Forums. I doubt it. 

• Like 1

I don’t see how a reply would help. Shaunaflynn’s post was done in good faith but without realizing that Gary hasn’t been here in many years. He won’t be answering and I doubt he will even see it.

Wasn't Gary "Happy Rat" here? I may be thinking of someone else that's no longer here.  I've come across Happy Rat's posts on other user groups, he (or she) is still active. I also miss "T" who was so helpful especially in terms of the classic Casio workstations-the WK's and CTK's. Life can get in the way of my "luxury problems" sometimes. Sometimes I post in older threads anyway, never know when someone might come back, or it might be helpful to someone new. I took Joliet Jake alot of years in the slammer before he got "the band" back together....(Blues Brothers in case you never saw it).

Happy left when we updated the forum software.  I don't think he liked the changes, but was always very helpful around here.  

I don't know what happened to T.  He was always very helpful in the WK and CTK section. 

Alen, as far as that one account I tagged above and asked for a response, I'm checking something, verifying a suspicion.