Video Files on Forum ×

New Owner of Casio XW-P1

Whenever you select a "tone", you are also automatically selecting its designated "program change" number which is assigned to it by the keyboard's manufacturer-it is fixed, and although there is a "standard" called General Midi or "GM" for short-which is used by all manufacturers-some manufacturers will use additional program change numbers for additional tones. The 'standard" porgram change numbers for the GM standard are 1-128 and will match each specific instrument assigned to it by the "GM" standard. There are only 128 instruments available if you only use "GM" tones.

For example-all keyboards-Casios and others, are supposed to assign program change number one for their acoustic piano-you will have to look up the GM table to see which number is assigned to each of the other tones. Now what are these program change numbers for if all you have to do with the keyboard is select your tone with the correct buttons, etc? Primarily-if you want to control which tone you will need for a specific midi song file played from an external software program-or another keyboard-you will need to match that program number to the tone assigned to it. Most software midi files and software midi players/recorders (called SMF or just .mid) already have these program change numbers embedded in the midi file-so will "find' or "switch" the tones in the keyboard to match what is supposed to be in the midi file-so the song will sound like it is supposed to soundif you are playing the keyboard with a software program, or another keyboard through its midi connections. If i want my midi file to play a piano, a trumpet and an orchestra string sound-each of these will have a program change number already assigned to it, and your midi software and your keyboard will recognize those program changes and automatically play those speecific sounds. 

Now what is a "bank change" number? Simliar function to a program change-with a distinct difference, and this is where it can get a bit complicated, if this isn't too much already! A "bank change" number is used if a manufacturer or software midi file wants to use many different sounds-additional sounds or tones that are beyond the 128 "GM": tones. For example-your Casio and many others have variations on the acoustic pianos, the electric pianos, organs and many other selection of sounds. Each of those "variations" such as acoustic piano 1,2 , 3 etc.-grand piano, dark piano, all the different Casio piano variations have to have a different "bank change" number, then a "program change" number after it-to select that specific variation, since the 128 instruments in the GM set-the 128 program change numbers are not enough to select these variations. and each manufacturer has its own way of designing these bank change numbers-but all of them try to keep the similar instruments together-so 4 different pianos may all have a program change number of 1, but the bank change numbers will be different. And again this is only necessary to know if you are using software and computers to play or design midi files, and you need to set the exact tone variations you need for each composition. Hope this all helps.

Didn't know this was here. Thanks. After my long excruciating day on Monday decided to take a break. But was back at in a couple days watching Funnzies #7 on step sequencing. Took about 4 pages of notes on the second viewing. Got about 30 min in before he lost me. But am determined to walk thru it on P1 step by step. I am still amazed at what I have seen so far in these videos.

Not sure if I am posting in right place but here goes. Made it thru 2 pages of notes and have something in channels 8 thru 12 so far. That was a challenge! Not exactly what he did but at least something to show I can do this.

And yes the info posted on Tues (which I didn't realize until today) will help make sense for me. Thank you.

Ok thoroughly read program change and bank number info. This is way above what I will be doing. Don't have to concern myself with midi or computer right now. Trying to keep this simple and will be using Live Tra K 12 for standalone recording. But at least I have some idea of the why's behind these numbers. I can see you are a wealth of information. May call upon your assistance in the future if needed in other areas. Thank you.