Video Files on Forum ×

Reviews of CT-X700

AlenK

Other than some humorous translation errors it is in line roughly with what i would expect. A shame though that the speakers are on the poor quality side according to this reviewer, which obviously we knew they are not that powerful at only 2.5 watts, but to showcase that AiX sound on a portable instrument, possibly their largest generation leap in terms of sound ever, i would like to have seen 5 watts at least as we see 7 watts on the older CTK-7200 model which is similarly priced.

just received my CT x700 the other day. I find the user guide a bit confusing for a old guy like me .Why cant Casio include a how to get started video with the keyboard. Setups are completely different than the 2 other Casio WK keyboards I have. Also another problem am having is that as I change from one sound to another there sometimes is a big difference in the volume even within the same category so you almost have to readjust the volume for every sound change. I was wondering about that when watching a CT X700 demonstration video on youtube and someone standing on the side was adjusting the volume as the player was changing the sounds...

42 minutes ago, Larry Richards said:

just received my CT x700 the other day. I find the user guide a bit confusing for a old guy like me .Why cant Casio include a how to get started video with the keyboard. Setups are completely different than the 2 other Casio WK keyboards I have. Also another problem am having is that as I change from one sound to another there sometimes is a big difference in the volume even within the same category so you almost have to readjust the volume for every sound change. I was wondering about that when watching a CT X700 demonstration video on youtube and someone standing on the side was adjusting the volume as the player was changing the sounds...

I have been wondering about that actually, i haven't checked the manual myself, but they are pretty woeful on the WK/CTK series and hoped there would be improvements in the manual....

Casio recently sent me the CT-X700 for review and I think it is definitely a nice keyboard for the money. I really don't have much to complain about other than the the reverb effects which, for me are not that great. There are 21 fixed reverb presets but there is not a lot of difference between them. This is especially noticeable on the Church and Cathedral presets. Not only is there very little change if any when switching between them but they don't actually sound like a church or cathedral. Not even close!

Now I understand of course we are talking about a budget keyboard here and you can't realistically expect the same sort of effects quality you would get in a much more expensive board but, just the same, if it says Cathedral on the tin that's what I expect to hear. The fact that none of the effects are user adjustable also doesn't help.

As for sounds I think Casio have done a pretty good job. The acoustic pianos are perfectly useable, synth sounds are "ok", wind instruments pretty good, guitar I'm not that convinced about but then I find most keyboards in this price range struggle in this respect. I'm a guitarist so perhaps a little hard to please in that respect? Brass again is fine and overall it's a top job for very little money.

One thing that definitely surprised me was the keys. I was expecting pretty poor quality at this price level but Casio have done really well here. Ok it's not a weighted hammer action jobby but really it's very good and certainly as good if not better than keyboards costing twice as much. 

Oh by the way you CAN control the effects over midi so that is one way to solve the above issues.

The CT-X700 can respond to the following CC messages (in addition to the usual ones):

- Portamento Time (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Portamento Switch (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Sostenuto (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Soft Pedal (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Filter Resonance
- Release Time
- Attack Time
- Filter Cutoff
- Decay Time (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Vibrato Rate (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Vibrato Depth (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Vibrato Delay (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Portamento Control
- Reverb Send Level
- Chorus Send Level
- Delay Send Level (not available on the PSR-E models)

The speakers although not high on output are not bad, certainly good enough for home use. 

One thing I do miss is the pitch bend wheel. It doesn't have one of course and I keep reaching for it. Perhaps they should have sent me the CT-X800 ;)

To sum up I would say it's a great entry level keyboard and I would certainly have no problem recommending it as an alternative to a PSR.

• Like 1

I got acquainted with the review and listened to the demo casio ct-x 700. for me this budget key sounds much better at the start than Casio MZ-x500. it has much better drums and more refined styles.  Unfortunately, the factory styles in mz-x500 are very weak - most of them were taken from the previous Casio models, GM sounds were not even changed to show what MZ can do.  The factory drums (acoustics) are also weak and sound like plastic. Casio mz-x500 without sampler sounds artificial and does not stand out from the Ctk and Wk series.
I have Roland BK-5, Korga PA 600, Yamaha PSR S750 and Casio MZ-500 - I think that Casio MZ-X 500 sounds the worst of the four.  In general I do not recommend Mz-x500 and here in Europe, this model has very bad opinions. I hope that Casio will draw conclusions and, based on the new generation of Aix, will release the new MZ-X600/400. - better developed and error-free - the look and operation can remain the same.  The new CT-X series sounds very good in comparison to the competition. There is a chance to create a good key that could be an alternative for Yamaha S775, Korg pa 700 and Roland Ea7.

PS. I use a translator so I don't know if I will be understood - I greet Peter.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

I am writing from Poland, I use the translator Deepl because I believe that it is the best Polish-English translation.
Finally, I used a courtesy phrase, which always ends the conversation in Poland. Apparently, this cannot be translated directly into English, because it is incomprehensible and even the best translator will not help here.

Pozdrawiam Piotr

• 2 weeks later...
On 3-3-2018 at 2:33 PM, yamahamusicians said:

One thing that definitely surprised me was the keys. I was expecting pretty poor quality at this price level but Casio have done really well here. Ok it's not a weighted hammer action jobby but really it's very good and certainly as good if not better than keyboards costing twice as much. 

Oh by the way you CAN control the effects over midi so that is one way to solve the above issues.

The CT-X700 can respond to the following CC messages (in addition to the usual ones):

- Portamento Time (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Portamento Switch (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Sostenuto (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Soft Pedal (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Filter Resonance
- Release Time
- Attack Time
- Filter Cutoff
- Decay Time (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Vibrato Rate (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Vibrato Depth (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Vibrato Delay (not available on the PSR-E models)
- Portamento Control
- Reverb Send Level
- Chorus Send Level
- Delay Send Level (not available on the PSR-E models)

The speakers although not high on output are not bad, certainly good enough for home use. 

One thing I do miss is the pitch bend wheel. It doesn't have one of course and I keep reaching for it. Perhaps they should have sent me the CT-X800 ;)

To sum up I would say it's a great entry level keyboard and I would certainly have no problem recommending it as an alternative to a PSR.

If the CC message also means to response multi-timbrel on each channel that would be sweet,

cause that means you can hook it to a DAW and do some narly stuff with controls messages. 

Hmmmm. after reading reviews, watching reviews and studying the manual-considering the used market for WK and CTk models-even for entry level, I would hesitate. this seems to have the same awful "song recorder" that my PX575 keyboard has-as opposed to the 17-track recorder in all the CTK and WK models. I can't hear a big mprovement in most of the sounds. It would seem Casio might be competing against itself here, since the prices for used WK and CTK models are pretty close to this one, and I see a lesser sound system, no drawbars, and a dumbed-down sort of sequencer.  Why didn't Casio just re-do a WK or CTK with the new AIX sound rom? That would have been closer to a step up for players that might be starting out, or want to bump up their slightly older Casios in this genre. Looks pretty nice, but still, just my 2 cents.

On 25/03/2018 at 10:34 AM, XW-Addict said:

If the CC message also means to response multi-timbrel on each channel that would be sweet,

cause that means you can hook it to a DAW and do some narly stuff with controls messages. 

It must be multi-timbral since there is a  msb and lsb value corresponding to each instrument.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
59 minutes ago, DKNY said:

Does the 6-track sequencer record in stereo or mono? If it does record in stereo, can you pan from left to right each individual track when you do a mix?

Panning is not possible on the CT-X700/800, although some tones are stereo, like grand pianos tones.  Those tones will playback as stereo.  

22 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Panning is not possible on the CT-X700/800, although some tones are stereo, like grand pianos tones.  Those tones will playback as stereo.  

Thanks Brad. Then I'm probably going to go with the CT-X3000