Video Files on Forum ×

CTK & CTX differences?

Hi everyone.

I have read the info on Casio about CTK and CTX.

However, I don't have a clear idea of the differences between these two models.

I am considering getting myself a CTK-7200 or CTX-700.

Could you enlighten me please?

I used to played piano for about 10 years and I stopped for about 7 years already.

I am trying to go back to piano but because I am living overseas right now. I can't possibly get myself a piano, so I am going for an electronic one.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this topic though.

Ok. I'll try to help. The CTK-7200 will have sliders, a virtual tonewheel organ and a built in stereo SD card audio recorder, where the CT-X series will not have those things. The CT-X series is a recent release and has many new and improved tones, new rhythms and richer more powerful effects versus the CTK series.  The CT-X series is benefiting from experience, technology and sounds Casio has developed for high end models in their lineup. If you're looking mainly to practice piano, the CT-X700 is an excellent bang-for-the-buck option because it sounds much higher priced than it is.  It's quite amazing to me that they were able to do that.  Let us know what you think you'll want in a keyboard and we can help further.  

6 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Ok. I'll try to help. The CTK-7200 will have sliders, a virtual tonewheel organ and a built in stereo SD card audio recorder, where the CT-X series will not have those things. The CT-X series is a recent release and has many new and improved tones, new rhythms and richer more powerful effects versus the CTK series.  The CT-X series is benefiting from experience, technology and sounds Casio has developed for high end models in their lineup. If you're looking mainly to practice piano, the CT-X700 is an excellent bang-for-the-buck option because it sounds much higher priced than it is.  It's quite amazing to me that they were able to do that.  Let us know what you think you'll want in a keyboard and we can help further.  

Thank you for your explanation. To be honest, I have no idea how to use an electronic piano/keyboard. I do not know how to compose a song, etc. 
I will probably buy one and play it as a normal piano, for now.

But for the future, I might improve my skills and be able to fully utilize the function of it.

RIght now, I am just wondering if I should go for CTK-7200 so that in the future I can use those functions.
Because I see that CTK-7200 has more buttons so it gave me the idea that is has more functions than CTX-700. (Supposedly?)

Based on what you said, CTX has better sound effects and improved tones(?).

"Improved tones" do you mean it has more different kind of instruments and pitches?

The CTK-7200 typically sells new for more than the CT-X700, at least in the US, not sure about overseas.  It's more in the price range of the CT-X3000 and 5000.  You may want to look for those models as well.  The CT-X700 will still give you things like a 6 track MIDI recorder, splits and layers and registration memory for remembering setups.  The more expensive CTK-7200 and CT-X3000/5000 will get you into tone editing, extra buttons for accessing tones and rhythms and more extensive onboard recording options, plus other things.  You can go to Casio's main site for musical instruments and see specs for the various models.  That might help you get familiar with the technical speak and see the differences.

Thank you, Brad.
Yeah, I watched that video earlier.
It seems like CTK-7200 and CTX-700 are almost the same.
All the things that CTX-700 can do, CTK-7200 can also do as well (I assumed)

And there are somethings that CTK-7200 can do, but CTX-700 can't do.

So, I think will go with CTK-7200 :D

Hello Brad.
I went to look into the info of CTX3000 and CTX5000 as you suggested.
Because for now, I have no idea how the functions work in electronic piano, the only thing that attracts me is the speakers of CTX5000 😅

I am staying in Japan. However, I haven't go and try them yet because I didn't know the existence of them until few days ago.

The price for them are:
CTX700 - 19,000yen (190 USD)

CTK7200 - 28,000yen (280 USD)

CTX3000 - 32,000 (320 USD)

CTX5000 - 52,000 (520 USD)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I recently bought a CT-X800 to replace my old CTK-711EX. There's a trade-off: the CT-X has some sounds that are a lot better than the ones my CTK had, but the CTK had functions the CT-X doesn't have. Missing from the CT-X is the mixer function that lets you adjust the relative volume level between different parts of the keyboard or the different parts of a layered tone. I like more bass, but can't boost the bass with the CT-X. The CT-X also resets to the default tones each time it's turned off and back on, and it turns itself off automatically. My CTK would always boot up to the last tones and rhythm I used before turning it off. Creating user tones with synth functions is also absent from the CT-X.
I've had the new CT-X for about two weeks, and still haven't decided if the great new tones keep me from missing the functions my CTK had.
IF my interest was only in the piano sound and the playability, the CT-X would win hands down for sounding good and having a low price.
But no, I like using split and playing a bass with my left hand.
The only advice I can offer is know what you like. 

Mike Martin
This post was recognized by Mike Martin!

Brad Saucier was awarded the badge 'Superstar' and 250 points.

I'd like to clarify some things for those shopping among CT-X models, since they do vary in features.  I'd like us to be a little more clear which CT-X models are being discussed, as the lower priced models do no reflect what the higher priced CT-X models offer. 

2 hours ago, Bob Zilla said:

Missing from the CT-X is the mixer function that lets you adjust the relative volume level between different parts of the keyboard or the different parts of a layered tone. I like more bass, but can't boost the bass with the CT-X.

CT-X3000 and CT-X5000 have mixer capabilities, allowing fine tuning of volume levels, effects send levels, pan, etc.   

The CT-X also resets to the default tones each time it's turned off and back on, and it turns itself off automatically. 

You can disable auto power off on all CT-X models.  Press the function button>Other>AutoOff>...turn this off.

My CTK would always boot up to the last tones and rhythm I used before turning it off

On CT-X700/800, you can store your favorite default setup as registration 1 bank 1.  This will bring up your settings after each power up.  

On CT-X3000/5000, an additional auto resume function saves current setup information for power down.  

Creating user tones with synth functions is also absent from the CT-X.

CT-X3000/5000 have tone editing functions with user tone memory.

24 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

the CTX uses the Casio simplified "song recorder' which doesn't give you many options for editing your compositions if you want that although you can connect either of these to a computer for editing compositions

CT-X3000/5000 have full 16 track+17th system track MIDI recorders, with detailed editing functions, including event editing and step recording.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jose antonio tafalla blas said:

If what you want is to work with a keyboard that is full of bugs, with poorly implemented mixers, useless midi ports, delays, stutters, no control over live sounds, no midi clock, with a polyphony that sometimes drops to 32 voices and that casio seems to have forgotten it and end up throwing it out the window, your keyboard is a ctx. And unfortunately nothing I'm saying is a joke. If what you want is to work with some stability a ctk7200, wk7600 or better, a mzx 500 is a better choice.According to how things are happening with this keyboard, today I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The ctx is a prototype, not a finished job.

Hi, Jose.

I'm on the ground floor ... not worth throwing it out the window, but seriously considered when it started "creating" it's own sounds.

best wishes

Derek

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2020 at 2:53 AM, jose antonio tafalla blas said:

If what you want is to work with a keyboard that is full of bugs, with poorly implemented mixers, useless midi ports, delays, stutters, no control over live sounds, no midi clock, with a polyphony that sometimes drops to 32 voices and that casio seems to have forgotten it and end up throwing it out the window, your keyboard is a ctx. And unfortunately nothing I'm saying is a joke. If what you want is to work with some stability a ctk7200, wk7600 or better, a mzx 500 is a better choice.According to how things are happening with this keyboard, today I would not recommend it to my worst enemy. The ctx is a prototype, not a finished job.

I fail to see these problems with the ct-xes is relevant to this thread where op has stated that he intends only to play it as a piano

• Brad Saucier locked and unlocked this topic
  • 2 years later...
On 6/23/2020 at 5:53 PM, Brad Saucier said:

On CT-X3000/5000, an additional auto resume function saves current setup information for power down.  

Does the AutoResume function saves contrast, touch, AutoOff when u shut down and comes back when u Power ON ?

And when u set some Split, Up, Lw with their Tones, can it do that as well ?

Or it doesnt and this implies that u have to make a Registration Bank for it ?

43 minutes ago, FlashyEagle8 said:

Does the AutoResume function saves contrast, touch, AutoOff when u shut down and comes back when u Power ON ?

And when u set some Split, Up, Lw with their Tones, can it do that as well ?

Or it doesnt and this implies that u have to make a Registration Bank for it ?

Ha well, just tested and got my own answers : yes, it does save all Settings u made the last time, before u left !!!

Wow, im so glad to have discovered it, coz was struggling all the time to set everything back how as it was....but also to find that "Save Settings" which is obviously the AutoResume Function that allows u to do that, and was always wandering if that function exists and how's been called. Great !