Video Files on Forum ×

Px5s action.....flimsy?

bob green

So I was reading a post over on the Keyboard Corner about weighted 88 key controllers, and one person posted that a salesman in his local music store was trying to deflect him off of buying a Px5s. One of his main criticisms was that the action was "flimsy, and prone to deteriorate over time"....anyone out there experience anything like this with their keyboard?

To be honest, the action is a bit noisier than other keyboards, but I wouldn't say flimsy.

It is more on the softer part if you compare it to a Roland for example, but it's heavier than

a Kawai. I would say that most of the keybeds under $1000 are trying to save on price and 

weight, so the quality would not be that of a top-noch piano, but still, you can get used to it,

depending on each player I would say.

Have you tried it? It's important that you do so you can see if it feels right to you.

Each player has different backgrounds so each has different opinions about different actions.

No, I've owned one for a while now, and like the action very much. Not like a top notch piano, but good nonetheless. I was mostly curious if anyone here had any problems with the action "deteriorating" after being played for a considerable time

There are a considerable number of active posters over on the Keyboard Corner that use a PX-5S professionally. I note that none of them have piped in to confirm what the sales droid reportedly told the OP of that thread; specifically, that the PX-5S keyboard action deteriorates over time. That is a failing that I would think users there would be quick to confirm if it were actually true. The reason I mention that they use the PX-5S professionally is (a) professionals making a living (or supplanting regular income) from a piece of gear are understandably picky, and (b) they can be expected to have given the key action more actuations over the course of time than non-professionals. 

• 1 month later...

Doing fine with PX350 (same action as PX5s) and I play almost every day. study the internal mechanisms of all the major players-you'll see there isn't much qualitative difference between the designs. Some of the consoles are a little beefier with the piano felt, but I find the action very comfortable to play for jazz, classical, composing. I've played many pianos, acoustic and otherwise, Kurzweil, Roland, Yamaha-I have 3 Casios now. go figure.